Tilting planes

gotchy

Does anyone remember if a plane can be made perpendicular to another plane in Solidworks 2007? If not, can someone provide a link to a tutorial on tilting planes.

I need to make a plane perpendicular to the small plane you see hovering over that wire-end planar face, in my attachment.

gotchy

Image01365.jpg

you need to have the appropriate references to define that. If you have a line drawn on that plane you can create it by selecting the plane, then the line and giving it an angle. to just give it a plane as input there are many different orientations a plane could be while being perpendicular. It needs more to define it.

If you have a line you can define a plane by selecting the line and its endpoint. This will give you a plane perpendicular to the line at its end point. You can create two points on a plane, select the plane and both points to define a plane that is perpendicular and intersects both points(sets its angle). There are other ways as well.

We need more information about the plane you want to create to help you fully define it.

WOW!!! I can't thank you enough for that information. That solves a lot of problems for me down the road. Especially with the type of project that I will

be working on shortly. It is a project that involves facets machined on a half round, to simulate a finished cut diamond. Your verbal description worked perfectly. Instant education!!!

Thanks again,

gotchy

No problem.

For the facets when you make your planes you can use the "cut with surface" feature or use "Split" feature to cut the solid body without having to make a sketch. For what you are talking about it would make sense to make a sketch with two lines that are Colinear and intersect with the half round. The shorter line will be the depth you want to cut and the longer line just helps it as a visual reference. its really not needed if you select the line and the origin of the cylindrical face and select "coincident". It will simply point the line at the origin.