Revit and DWG: what about attributes?

halam

What is your way to get attributes into dwg before issueing digital data? :twisted:

1. do it by hand

2. Schedule, Excel, then script and lisp new block

3. Use a Autodesk addon to do it

4. use other tooling ..?

or

5. .. maybe, there aren'nt any obligations for you to export dwg with metadata correctly..?

(You don't give a s* how DWG leaves the Revit building..)

Edited by halam

Hi halam. Do you mean for exporting a dwg from Revit? And do you mean metadata for the file itself, or for objects within the file?

Export sheet from file => export.

Most families will become block, but without attributes.

All text within these blocks is mtext.

Good!

Option 3. Would like to have your idea about incorporating this add on.

It's German so use a translator.

http://www.civilinfrabnl.nl/media/kunena/attachments/7388/2015_RevitBIMDWGStandardTool.pdf

Option 4. Anyone have FME working on AutoDesk data formats

it should be possible to take schedules out of Revit and get this on block attributes.

Thx.

5. .. maybe, there aren'nt any obligations for you to export dwg with metadata correctly..?

(You don't give a s* how DWG leaves the Revit building..)

What sort of metadata? If that data is shown on a plan/pdf which you also give them then I don't see why it also has to be in the dwg file as an attribute unless you agreed to give it to them that way.

What does your contract say? E.g. we will often put in our terms that we will (or in some instances, will not) supply a 3D dxf file of points & strings of a survey etc.

I suppose it also comes down to whether you want either repeat work from that company or will need to use their services again. E.g. if your CAD files are terrible to work with then they either won't send work your way in the future (building design etc) or if you are sending work to them (engineering etc) then they will raise their prices for future work from you in the future to compensate for the substandard AutoCad files they have to work with and clean up.

If I have to submit CAD from Revit, it is not a requirement but a favor to a vendor or a consultant that is not using Revit. I was taken aback by that statement as I do take care that the output is what the receiver needs.

Plus, the basic premise of the question is not a smart way to approach a project that requires .dwgs.

I agree.

If the other consultants are using AutoCad (or anything other than Revit actually) then you will find in most of their terms of engagement with the client it states that the client will provide them with suitable CAD files in dwg or dxf format.

If the files from the architect/building designer/whoever are a mess and unsuitable then the cost of fixing/cleaning them so we can do our portion of the job will be passed back onto the client as a variation that doesn't look favorably upon whoever generated the CAD files.

Numerous governmental clients demand that drawing heads (don't know if it it is the right word) have a fixed name for this block and have attributes called X,Y and Z (whatever name). So it's an obligation to pass on the AS BUILD dossiers which may contain the several hundred of sheets. They have certain systems and procedures that depand on this so it is a contract demand to make sure this data into their ICT environment. So we have to make big efforts to put in the right block after exporting for sets of drawing made with revit.. This is a job that must definitely CAN be automated.

I hope you understand this background. But really I would like to discuss ways it can be automated..

Edited by halam

FYI: From now on, all off topic posts in this thread will be removed or edited without warning or explanation. So, keep your post on topic or expect it to be gone when you next return.

So we have to make big efforts to put in the right block after exporting for sets of drawing made with revit.

Why do it in Revit in the first place? Is that also a requirement?

Numerous governmental clients demand that drawing heads (don't know if it it is the right word) have a fixed name for this block and have attributes called X,Y and Z (whatever name). So it's an obligation to pass on the AS BUILD dossiers which may contain the several hundred of sheets. They have certain systems and procedures that depand on this so it is a contract demand to make sure this data into their ICT environment. So we have to make big efforts to put in the right block after exporting for sets of drawing made with revit.. This is a job that must definitely CAN be automated.

I hope you understand this background. But really I would like to discuss ways it can be automated..

You could perhaps map the attributes via a lisp IF there is someway to determine what entities need attributes (e.g. all circles) AND what the attribute is to be (e.g. the radius of the circle). I think that is going to be hard to do though if you want to map anything more complicated than that sort of info.

This is actually what this addon (3.) can do for rooms and areas, but directly coming from Revit. Drawing heads (don't know if this is the right word) and other predefined blocks are 'filled' using a template .dwt file as target source. The only downside is that the addon seems ONLY available for .rvt version 2015.. in German. Luckily my German is as good as English. Next week I will give it a try, then I have version 2014,2015,2016 all installed on my PC. Happy Easter

Got it up and running. I think this can really be helpful in some cases and could be customized (the interface is ENG)

Unfortunility it seems to export 'view' based and not sheet based. Typically our drawings have a lot of details and views to explain things.

Viewports still have to be adjusted after exporting DWG.