Weird Autocad occurance.

gotchy

This is a weird question relative to Autocad, for which I apologize upfront.

Periodically, when emptying the Recycle Bin, I notice that the amount of files

needing to be emptied in my Windows XP machine, running Autocad 2000 and 2007 is staggering. Just this morning, for instance, "Are you sure you want to send 83 files to the Recycle Bin?" I know I did not delete anywhere near that amount, maybe 6-8 files tops. Upon opening the Recycle Bin to expose the files to be deleted, invariably are countless .bak files from Autocad. From Autocad drawings that I haven't worked on in months. It would appear that Autocad sends .bak files to be deleted within a certain time-frame. Do any of the many fine Gurus here have any experience or knowledge of this occurance? Is this an automatic thing, or just a mystery of mine.

Puzzled, as always,

gotchy

You think 83 .bak files is staggering? That would barely qualify as a handful in most businesses.

AutoCAD does not automatically send .bak files to be deleted within a certain time frame as far as I know and it certainly doesn't generate .bak files all on its own for files that have not been worked on for months. Maybe your computer is possessed or someone else is using it without your knowledge.

Just this morning, for instance, "Are you sure you want to send 83 files to the Recycle Bin?"

Can you say what, workwise, are you doing when you get this message?

This message is not saying that the files have been deleted, it is asking you if you want to delete them (send them to the bin).

Have you got some kind of 'Clean Up' software running that is set to periodically clean out old temporary files?

Most of them can be scheduled to run at set times in the background.

(Depending on the settings this would clean out .tmp, .bak, .sv$, and maybe .log and other temporary files after they have not been changed for a while).

You don't say if this is you own PC or a work machine.

If it's at work then your IT guys may have set up a temp file cleaner like this, have a word with them.

Remark,

This is not the machine of a company, but rather a single user who uses Autocad infrequently, so yes, 83 files is staggering. It could be the culmination of 2 or 3 entire projects.

Thanks,

gotchy

nukecad,

No this is not a work machine and I don't have a program running in the background to clean up temp files that I know of. You bring up an excellent thought however. I will have to check to see if my so called "free" antivirus protection has this feature. This indeed may very well be the answer.

Thanks for your input,

gotchy

Like Nukecad Autocad writes lots of files behind the scene, we have our CONFIG, FILES, TEMP files set to a particular directory this way we can clean up a lot of the left over stuff.

The RED X is the one at the top right and will hard close Autocad, Exit will soft close. I try to get my guys to not use it.

I often clean up our server and look for all the files previously mentioned, I normally dont delete Baks on the server till I know the project is finished. last count 1.5Tb, the baks can be helpful in the event of a crash, we also have auto backup twice a day so we can retrieve yesterdays. The files run into say 100+ every time I do it.

Like Nukecad Autocad never asks for cleanup 30+ years.

My Norton cleanup which I must run manually cleaned 500mb yesterday, haven't done it for a while.

You bring up an excellent thought however. I will have to check to see if my so called "free" antivirus protection has this feature. This indeed may very well be the answer.

I would also check what you have set to run at startup, and maybe more importantly your task scheduler.

I would expect a cleaner of this type to be listed in the scheduler, although it may be running as a subroutine of something else.

This is the sort of thing I am talking about, where Disk Cleanup is set to run automatically from the scheduler.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/315246

Disc Cleanup would normally only clear out the windows temporary folders, but it can be setup to check other folders for temporary files over a certain age and delete these also.