Drawing Stairs in Plan: Cut Lines, Dashed Lines, & Showing Objects Above & Below

DorcasDorcas

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble remembering how to draw a stair that goes between two floors and makes two 180 degree turns before reaching the top.

1.) I am unsure about where to place the cut line.

2.) when showing the plan in stair, does it look different when shown on the plan of the first floor vs. the second floor?

3.) Since the stair makes two 180 degree turns before reaching the second floor, the landing for the second flight is directly under the third landing which is the second floor, but the way I drafted it it is impossible to differentiate what is above vs. what is below, and what the proper order of the up and down flights of stairs.

I have attached a screen shot of my drawings and would greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thanks so much!!IMG_3923.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 6.31.13 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 7.12.57 PM.jpg

I'd probably go with that, TBH. I wonder if it might be worth having a play with showing the cut line on the half-landing, perhaps that will reveal something useful?

A bugbear of mine is that arrows on stairs should always point UP only.

dJE

I suppose you could always create a 3D model and extract the 2D plan view from the model assuming you want to show hidden lines but I think the result would be very "busy" if you know what I mean.

Thanks so much for your replies, they were very helpful.

@ReMark : Those links were great, and I agree about extracting from the 3D model, it would be very busy.

@danellis : I agree about only showing the arrows pointing UP, I just read so much conflicting information yesterday before posting on this thread, but I will definitely be changing it back. Could you possibly explain what you meant by "having a play with showing the cut line on the half-landing"?

You may have already answered this but I'm just confirming here, should the plan for the stairs indeed appear differently based on the floor plan the stair is being shown on--would the plan for the same stair be drawn with different visible and hidden components on Floor 1 vs Floor 2?

I wonder if each of you could take a look at the changes and give your final thoughts, I'll likely post it today.

Thanks again.

Ive attached a screenshot of three options based on all the different information I gathered. which would you say looks correct? And of course any feedback for corrections/edits would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 1.27.00 PM.jpg

I would go with option 3 and let the section take care of the rest. Also, there is no need for two "UP" notations on the 1st floor.