Revit 2015 Model Performance Issue

kulfi

I am working on Revit 2016 with a file size of 40MB containing and with Revit Arch file as a link.

i have the following Hardware Parameters 1. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU 3.40 GHz. 2. 32 Installed Memeory RAM 3. Windows 7 , 64 Bit Operating System 4. NVIDIA Graphic Card GTX 750 Ti.

The issue is working of the model is very slow but if i reduced the size of the model to half the working is normal.

Please can you tell me the issues effecting the performance.

thanks

I have some questions about your system, when you can. I am getting ready to start with Revit and I need to spec 2 work stations for us.

From what I have researched so far your system looks good. I feel like the GTX-750 Ti might be on the lower end, I would like to have 4GB-6GB of video memory on the card, GTX-760 w/4GB is $340 and GTX-960 w/4GB are $250+. My question is what is your memory model #? So I can look at it's speed and latency. Also what motherboard is the system built on?

One thing I keep seeing when reading about others systems is to match the motherboard and memory and then be sure a lot of the little items all work with each other. Like # of memory channels, PCI card slots and the version and lanes. SSD and now the newest PCIe 3.0 M 2 slot for SSD. Possibly use a lower end card but use 2 or 3 for the processing power in the GPU's.

When you get some time I would like to know the memory model and motherboard maker/model #.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Randy

I am working on Revit 2016 with a file size of 40MB containing and with Revit Arch file as a link.

i have the following Hardware Parameters 1. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU 3.40 GHz. 2. 32 Installed Memeory RAM 3. Windows 7 , 64 Bit Operating System 4. NVIDIA Graphic Card GTX 750 Ti.

The issue is working of the model is very slow but if i reduced the size of the model to half the working is normal.

Please can you tell me the issues effecting the performance.

thanks

This is hard to tell without having a model in front of me. For me, here's what I do to increase performance, even with a large model:

1. Turn Thin Lines On.

2. Switch to a Wireframe Visual Style.

3. Switch to Coarse Detail Level.

From there you can do other things such as manage Worksets, strip any DWG imports and unload any excess links. Your specs are just fine to run a 40MB model. I have almost identical specs and I have some jobs where the architectural alone is reaching 300+MB in filesize with no problems whatsoever.

You probably can't, but if you can distribute the model I'll gladly take a look at it to see what's going wrong. I'm assuming you're running a Purge to clean the extraneous Revit objects?

I have some questions about your system, when you can. I am getting ready to start with Revit and I need to spec 2 work stations for us.

From what I have researched so far your system looks good. I feel like the GTX-750 Ti might be on the lower end, I would like to have 4GB-6GB of video memory on the card, GTX-760 w/4GB is $340 and GTX-960 w/4GB are $250+. My question is what is your memory model #? So I can look at it's speed and latency. Also what motherboard is the system built on?

One thing I keep seeing when reading about others systems is to match the motherboard and memory and then be sure a lot of the little items all work with each other. Like # of memory channels, PCI card slots and the version and lanes. SSD and now the newest PCIe 3.0 M 2 slot for SSD. Possibly use a lower end card but use 2 or 3 for the processing power in the GPU's.

When you get some time I would like to know the memory model and motherboard maker/model #.

Randy

There's a great section over at RevitForum.org if you really need to get some Revit hardware essentials and advice. Try this link here and look at the top sticky'd threads: http://www.revitforum.org/hardware-infrastructure/

Plenty of fellow Dallas guys on that board too. We meet pretty regularly for happy hours near I-75 $ SMU area if you ever care to join for some Revit and BIM talk over a few beers.

-TZ

Yes, I have been reading a lot from that forum.

It has been most helpful.

I'll take you up on the happy hour soon, that area is just down the street as I am in Garland @ Forest & Skillman.

Thanks

Yes, I have been reading a lot from that forum.

It has been most helpful.

I'll take you up on the happy hour soon, that area is just down the street as I am in Garland @ Forest & Skillman.

Thanks

If you're in Garland, we also meet at Primo's next to Bass Pro off I30 by Lake Ray Hubbard. Not sure where you live but it may be closer.

From what I have researched so far your system looks good. I feel like the GTX-750 Ti might be on the lower end, I would like to have 4GB-6GB of video memory on the card, GTX-760 w/4GB is $340 and GTX-960 w/4GB are $250+. My question is what is your Memorey Slot.jpg So I can look at it's speed and latency. Also what motherboard is the system built on?

Randy

Thanks for the Reply

I will be adding some more informations.

a. how large (file size), complicated (detail), clean (model best practice) is the linked Arch. file?

Yes i have purged the model, Removed the link for Arch Model. the Size of the file 40 MB only.

b. what have you got modeled in your file? What did you do to "half" its size?

It is MEP Model with Pipes and Pipes Accessories, and for instance if i delete three or four floors than the model size is reduced and the performance is better

c. It takes times to Load in opening time, it takes time to draw or edit a pipe in all operations it is slow and we have central file and even on synchronizing it takes time.

d. we have four memory slots each 8 GB.

e. We are using Optiplex 9020 Tower banded computer from Dell.

MotherBoard.jpg

Edited by kulfi
Some More Informations to be Added

A 40MB Revit model is VERY lean. VERY very lean. Or it must be a small model. I'd honestly have to look at it personally to see if I notice any performance issue. First and foremost, Revit is a "slow" cad software... it just has a natural lag to it OOTB. But that may not be it if you're seeing a significant performance increase from a simple purge. This tells me you have some crazy Families or other Content that is slowing it down - possibly DWG imports.

We are only using the basic families, no CAD data in linked or either imported, if you like i can attach the Revit File. but how to attach here i do not know.

thanks

Edited by kulfi
Spelling Mistake

Interesting. Just saving it alone without purging reduces it by half the filesize. Not sure what's going on... there is only 31 items to be purged and only one of those is a model content. Something's bloating it that's for sure but I'm unaware of what's going on.

FWIW I found no real issue with performance. Granted, I didn't have the architectural to Link either. But that IS a lot of piping. Best thing to do is continue working in a Coarse View to keep all the piping/fittings as schematic lines. Wireframe also really helps. Turning off MEP Hidden Lines until it's time to print is a huge help in performance as well. See if those work out for you. :)

-TZ

Interesting. Just saving it alone without purging reduces it by half the filesize. Not sure what's going on... there is only 31 items to be purged and only one of those is a model content. Something's bloating it that's for sure but I'm unaware of what's going on.

FWIW I found no real issue with performance. Granted, I didn't have the architectural to Link either. But that IS a lot of piping. Best thing to do is continue working in a Coarse View to keep all the piping/fittings as schematic lines. Wireframe also really helps. Turning off MEP Hidden Lines until it's time to print is a huge help in performance as well. See if those work out for you. :)

-TZ

Ok, tell me the time taken to draw a new pipe and connect to any branch..

thanks

Edited by kulfi
Spelling Issue

Ok, tell me the time taken to draw a new pipe and connect to any branch..

thanks

If it does not have any performance issue while all revit operations than pls can you tell the specifications you are using for the software and the hardware.

thanks

Is this your first time installing/using any version of revit? Is it just 2016? I run 2014 and 2015 on an older higher end desktop system with lower specs than what you're talking about. It should be able to work in 2d views without much speed problems. 3d views shouldn't be that bad either. Revit is kind of slow always, but it'd hard to say whether what your seeing is atypical

If it does not have any performance issue while all revit operations than pls can you tell the specifications you are using for the software and the hardware.

thanks

I can't think of anything else that could be causing such things. Again I'm using almost identical specs. My video card is a little better than yours but that shouldn't affect performance in this manner. One other thing to see is if your pipes are calculating flow. Select the Pipe System and in Type Properties, see what setting it's on. I set mine to "None" which can be very helpful with a huge model such as yours.

CalcFlow.png