3D Terrains

boxel0

Hello all, I want to try and model out basic terrain details and I am unsure the best way of doing this, I am currently using AutoCAD 2015.

For instance I have this straight and flat road, but either side of it the ground drops down by about 3 meters, where a 12" Pipe runs.

Hope this gives you a clear picture, any ideas?

A TIN is the answer a Triangular Irregular network. Lots of way to make like Murph_map, Civ3d etc, TriangV0.5.9.lsp program by YMG search here, a export of surface data, we are lucky and have acces to a full LIDAR model of the entire area. Or just make your own using maybe excel to create 3dfaces with levels. Contact the local Council see what they have maybe available.

• 2 weeks later...

A few ways to do it I guess.

There's the new Autodesk phone app "123D Catch" that lets you take multiple photos of an area from different angles and it creates a 3d model of the photographed scene. For larger terrain areas this wouldn't work but if you are looking for a detail of a specific location it would probably be fine. I've experimented with it a little bit and it works pretty good. Sometimes you have to go through the process 2 or 3 times before you get good results. Shaking and subtle movements factor in to the quality of the end-result. If I remember correctly it also requires you to use Autodesk 360 so if you don't have an account set up you have to go through extra steps before you can use the app.

There's also the Autocad add-on for importing google earth terrain but just depends on how much detail you're looking for I guess. The last I heard the add-on was free but I'm not sure if it works with newer versions of Autocad. Been a few years since I've used it (like 2011).

If you are looking for terrain of a small localized area - which it sounds like - a quicker alternative might be to create a small-scale topo map by importing an overhead photo from google earth and drawing in the various elevations as polylines at various heights (like every foot or two) approximating as you go.

You would give each polyline a different elevation in the properties box and then use RULESURF to create mesh surfaces between each pair of lines. You can then change the mesh "smoothness" factor in properties to smooth out any lumps or bumps.

You can also apply a layer, color and/or material to the surface (like grass or galvanized metal to any pipes you model) and do a full rendering.

I'm sure the Autodesk civil suite is pretty sweet but there are alternative methods. It depends on what you want to model and what level of detail you're looking for.

Also, google earth pro is free now. So what you can do is open google earth pro, turn on terrain and you can view alot of stuff in 3D based on the satellite images (usually applies more to cities). Some areas in google earth pro don't have the full 3D buildings/terrain yet but ou can export images to scale now or as a complete map with legend and all (in ultra HD if you require).

It might be better option if you are looking for something showing existing conditions.

Just some ideas.

-ChriS

Has been for quite some time although the author does ask (very politely too) for a donation. Doubt he gets many. We all want FREE stuff....all the time and on demand (unfortunately).

Actually a donation gains even more functionality.

Limitations:

CadTools does not work with AutoCadLT. Some features are limited for unregistered users.

• 1 month later...
You might check out CADTools.

I have used this software for turning templates of different size vehicles. Once I figured out how they have there stuff set up it was so easy to use as well as being very helpful