Edit subtracted solid ?

JimB

Can someone tell me how I can highlight and edit (move or edit size) of a subtracted solid (invisible, only evident because depicting 'a void') without having to fragment, or pick individual lines … just simple way of isolating temporarily so as to edit ..?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimB

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Start by clicking on the Go Advanced button. At the next screen click on the paperclip icon. Next click on the Add Files button. Browse to where your drawing files are located and after making your selection click on Upload. Once you have done that I'd suggest click on the paperclip icon again to insert your file rather than clicking on the Insert button (which in some cases causes a duplicate file to be attached).

The attached is an extract from the drw

I can isolate and edit using the control key highlighting lines (which has to be all of them and them move to left or right if I want ... but is there an easier way of simply highlighting the entire subtracted model and doing the same just to move left or right or even possibly enlarg ?

extract.dwg

Example with the window opening or door

What exactly do you want to do? Reposition the door or window or change the size of one or another or what?

MovesFaces1.jpg

Resized window then moved window to new position. Done using the Move Faces command. Just be careful with your picks and remember to remove faces from the selection set you do not want to edit.

For the life of me what I dont understand is a terchneque I am absolutely positive I use to use and I cant remember how I use ot do it (as its been nearly two years since I was very active) is I am positive I use to be able to sort of isolate the subtracted image ... edit position or size whilst still in the subtracted state and escape and changes were made... I just cant remember how I did it ... and thats what bought me here. i must have been mistaken about my own recolection of the process or ability.

OK...just thought of something. Have you tried holding down the CTRL key when you make your picks? Note the red grips and highlighted edges.

3D edit with Ctrl.JPG

Yep thats the way I'm doing tonight ... and thats whats frustrating me Mark becasue I'm positive their was relatively simple process of just identifing the subtracted object and editing as normal ... then escaping with changes made. But just cant remember it.

As Im typing I'm thinking it may have been utilising the isolate tool but can twork out how I did it ... appreciate your time on this ... leave it wiht me Mark if I work it out I'll post it here . Thanks a lot guys

The "isolate" tool? We are talking about AutoCAD and not one of the vertical products aren't we?

I tried ISOLATE but all it did was isolate one object out of a group of four but it did not, when invoked a second time, isolate the window (or void) from the wall.

Edited by ReMark

Well I am no expert when it comes to working in 3D so perhaps there is something simple I have overlooked. Please hurry up and figure out what that command was so I can edit solid models as you have described. And to think I've been doing it wrong these past couple of years. Yikes!

yer I'm still looking into it Mark.... I'm positive it can be done. stopped every thing to try and nut it out .... :)

if i do will definately post