Using digitizer things do not show up to scale and won't fit onto screen

Robdiqulous

I am using a digitizer to copy patterns into autocad so we can print them on our cnc machine. I am cutting fabrics and fabric patterns. When I put my piece on the digitizer I have a bunch of room around the edges. It is a 24" x 32" digitizer or close to that I forget. Anyway when I am using my stylus to trace it the stylus will go into the menus of my autocad screen. I want my autocad screen to be the full size of my digitizer table if that makes sense. I don't need to go into my menus using my stylus.

ALSO, when I am done tracing my pattern and it looks good in autocad, it is the wrong size. I have things that are 20 inches, but show up in autocad at 2 inches big. What option can I change for that not to happen?

I am using old technology kind of. I am tracing on my digitizer using autocad LT 97. I don't think they want to upgrade or if we even know how or if our table will handle updates. I then transfer the file to autoCAD 2016 on my laptop to do finishing touches and make sure everything is good and to save in a dxf format to put into my other OTHER computer running CUTWORKS which is my CNC machine cutting software. this is also fairly old 2000 or older. The computers are old and we don't have the cd's or anything to update the programs.Everything works fine I just don't know the programs very well and don't know what option to look for to make all of this happen. Just letting you know what programs I am using in case that may be the issue. I hope not.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Rob

There is a procedure for calibrating the digitizer if one is going to digitize, for example, a map into AutoCAD. It sounds like you did not follow that procedure. One must pick a point in the lower left hand corner of the digitizer and tell AutoCAD what coordinates should be assigned to it. Then the user is prompted to pick a point in the upper right hand corner of the digitizer and tell AutoCAD what coordinates will be assigned to it. Assuming the area available for digitizing is indeed 36x24 your coordinates might be for example 1,1 (lower left hand corner) and 37,25 (upper right hand corner. It is best if the patterns that you are digitizing fit with the available digitizing area otherwise you may have to digitize as much of the pattern as you can, stop, reposition the pattern then recalibrate your digitizing area for a second time. I believe there is one "F" key that allows the user to suspend digitizing mode long enough to move the cursor to the top of the screen to select a command then activated again to continue digitizing.

FYI - I used to digitize site maps into AutoCAD using a Calcomp DrawingBoard III digitizer with a 16-button puck. The digitizer was 12x12. Sometimes I had to divide a site map in quadrants and digitize each in turn recalibrating as I went.

Edited by ReMark