New post!!

MillerMG

Hey everyone. I just recently dove into the world of 3DS Max with zero skill and knowledge in the software. I have been going over all of the 3DS Max tutorials offered on this site. I even made it into a book with a table of contents haha. Sooooooo......I need to get much better at the material editor and mapping. I think that it would help if I knew what each part meant such as noise, bump, etc. I need to get my butt onto some sites to figure this stuff out.

Anyway, Here's a new post CAD64 :thumbsup:

What??? An actual post in the Studio Max section? I must be dreaming! :o I better get out the vacuum and clear away all the dust and cobwebs. :rofl:

Materials in Studio Max is a pretty deep subject. There are entire books dedicated just to materials, lighting and rendering, so you might want to consider picking one up. The book in the link below is what I used to learn this stuff, but it's a little old. You might want to look for one that's a little more current.

http://www.amazon.com/Rendering-mental-first-Steen-published/dp/B00EKYZW50/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1459977290&sr=8-13&keywords=rendering+with+mental+ray

I don't use Studio Max that much anymore, but if you have questions, go ahead and post them and I'll do my best to provide answers or at least point you in the right direction.

You might also be interested in the links I have posted in these threads:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?29434-Free-Studio-Max-Tutorial-Sites-amp-Other-Stuff

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?78832-3ds-Max-Related-Websites-and-Resources

That was one small issue with the tutorials from here. They were a little old but not old enough to learn from. I bought one of Wiley's books for the new Civil 3D and learned so much. I would love to get a book for 3DS. I'm just not sure if that is the best program for me. We do mainly site civil design. Most of our renderings are done in photoshop. I would like to render site plans and make them quicker and better than the ones created using CS2 photoshop. Thank you for responding. I would greatly appreciate any advice just as you have done and are going to do.