ERROR: unable to set system variable: SNAPUNIT

Guest THE BRAT

Guest THE BRAT

This is a message I get once in awhile when I try to change my osnap settings on a dwg that is sent to me by designers. AutoCAD won't let me change the settings and then I have to right button click for endpoint, midpoint,quadrant,..etc. I can copy the dwg. to another dwg and the problem is solved...but what a pain having to unlock and relock all the layers in the dwg. Is this some sort of lock on the designers dwg that I can change, or maybe its created in an earlier version of AutoCAD? Its not life threatening and I can work around it but I feel its a waste of time!....any takers?...

Actually you are talking about 2 different variables. SNAPUNIT sets the snap spacing for the current viewport while OSMODE sets running Object Snap modes using the following bitcodes.

0 NONe

1 ENDpoint

2 MIDpoint

4 CENter

8 NODe

16 QUAdrant

32 INTersection

64 INSertion

128 PERpendicular

256 TANgent

512 NEArest

1024 QUIck

2048 APParent Intersection

4096 EXTension

8192 PARallel

Flores

3 things:

Copy and paste the lisp routine.

Put the location of the .lsp in the ACAD support path.

Copy and paste the tool button macro into a new user-defined button.

TogOsnap.lsp

;|            TogOsnap.lsp
             Enter tos at command line to toggle
            Osnap on and off

Good example of toggling a variable
|;

(defun C:tos ()
 (if (= (getvar "osmode") 0)
   (progn
     (setvar "osmode" 133)
     (prompt "\nEnd, Cen, and Perp Osnaps on")
   )                    ;progn 
   (progn
     (setvar "osmode" 0)
     (prompt "\nOsnaps off.")
   )                    ;progn 
 )                    ;if 
 (princ)
)                    ;defun 
(prompt "To use, enter tos at the command line.")
(princ)

;|  Here are the bitcodes
   just add up your favorites

Example: End + Cen + Perp is 1 + 4 + 128 = 133
Thus (setvar "osmode" 133)

0    NONe
1    ENDpoint
2    MIDpoint
4    CENter
8    NODe
16    QUAdrant
32    INTersection
64    INSertion
128    PERpendicular
256    TANgent
512    NEArest
1024    QUIck
2048    APParent Intersection
4096    EXTension
8192    PARallel

|;

Add location to support path:

Tools > Options > Files tab > Support Path Search Path (add > browse)

Toolbutton macro:

^C^C(if c:tos (princ)(load "togosnap")) tos 

You will need to change the osmode variable to your preferred settings, then change the prompt to display your preferred osnaps. Example:

(prompt "\nEnd, Mid, and Quad Osnaps on")

Flores

Guest THE BRAT

WOW!!...I did'nt expect such a complicated answer! I'm not really big on the lisp side of AutoCAD...YET! Is this a permanent solution to this problem or do I load this whenever I come across this problem? And does the button macro always stay in a toolbar?.....have I misunderstood this? I often toggle through many of the osnaps depending on what I'm doing. Will this make certain osnaps stay on?..or off?

WOW!!...I did'nt expect such a complicated answer! I'm not really big on the lisp side of AutoCAD...YET! Is this a permanent solution to this problem or do I load this whenever I come across this problem? And does the button macro always stay in a toolbar?.....have I misunderstood this? I often toggle through many of the osnaps depending on what I'm doing. Will this make certain osnaps stay on?..or off?

Investigate the settings within the command OPTIONS called profiles.

Nick

Maybe an easier answer would be "You don't have to unlock and relock all the layers in the dwg to change the osnaps, just CTRL + LEFT CLICK to reset your preferred osnaps".

Flores

Guest THE BRAT

I don't have a problem accessing or turning osnap on or off when there's no error message I've got that part down, and I only unlock the layers when I have to copy the dwg into another dwg. I'll also follow up on what Mr T suggested...I'm not discounting what you have advised Flores, I'm just not that advanced yet....but I will try the lisp today

Guest THE BRAT

okay, i've entered the lisp and it works great! i've also copied and changed some of the values in it and set up a few different lisp routines that will come in handy for different aspects of my work. Thanks to all who offered help, and do you know any good books about explaining and learning lisp programming.....i'm hooked!

Glad you gave it a try... LISP isn't as scary as it looks. I have a grasp of AutoLISP, but Visual LISP throws me in for a loop, but I hope to learn it soon. Before you go out and buy some books, there are several places on the internet that can help you out. Also, there are several good sites to download lisp routines.

Tutorials:

http://www.afralisp.com/tutor.htm

http://home.netcom.com/~rogh/autolisp/

http://www.geocities.com/cadgurucool/tutorial.htm

LISP Downloads

http://www.cadalog.com/swsubcat.php?value=ACG

http://www.caddepot.com/dcd/Autodesk/

There are tons of free info and routines on the net that you ought to take advantage of.

Flores

All you had to do is set your "snap" spacing to a positive number. This error happens when the snap unit is set to ZERO in both the x & y direction. The far left tab (snap & grid) of the drafting settings dialog box (what you enter when you attempt to change the osnap mode) is the place to change these settings.

This is a message I get once in awhile when I try to change my osnap settings on a dwg that is sent to me by designers. AutoCAD won't let me change the settings and then I have to right button click for endpoint, midpoint,quadrant,..etc. I can copy the dwg. to another dwg and the problem is solved...but what a pain having to unlock and relock all the layers in the dwg. Is this some sort of lock on the designers dwg that I can change, or maybe its created in an earlier version of AutoCAD? Its not life threatening and I can work around it but I feel its a waste of time!....any takers?...

• 10 years later...

RDBArchitect

Drawings received from sources other than your inner office may be have settings that you are used to , or they may be corrupt. I would simply copy clip the drawing and copy paste it into new drawing files of your choice (verify that the recipient drawing has the correct snap settings)

RDBArchitect

Drawings received from sources other than your inner office may be have settings that you are used to , or they may be corrupt. I would simply copy clip the drawing and copy paste it into new drawing files of your choice (verify that the recipient drawing has the correct snap settings)

Welcome to CADTutor RDB. :)

No doubt the OP will be gratified to have a viable solution, after close to an 11 year wait, hopefully he isn't still working on that same drawing! :huh:

Please check dates on threads, before responding to them, as Necromancing old threads is generally frowned on here, as it clutters up the board with waters long gone under the bridge. :|

Nonetheless, it still happens, occasionally, even to those who are longtime forum members.