3D Mouse Rotation Not Staying Centered

vertical horizons

I realize that this is not the SOLIDWORKS threads, but I didn't think that this thread belonged in a Solidworks post, because it is a 3D mouse problem. I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

In Solidworks, when I attempt to rotate an assembly, using my 3D mouse, (3D Connexion Space Navigator), the assembly does not stay in the middle of the screen. It moves off of the page, instead of staying where I can see it. I have to stop the rotation, pan to get the assembly back onto the screen, then rotate it more to get the angle that I want to see.

I realize that you can, using the LEFT mouse button (normal mouse), click on an item in the assembly, then depress the MIDDLE mouse button to rotate the assembly, based on the item that you clicked on.

Or, you can simply depress the MIDDLE mouse button (normal mouse) to rotate the assembly.

But, if the assembly is in the center of your screen, you would think that the 3D mouse would rotate the assembly, keeping it in the middle of the screen.

I have checked the 3D mouse settings, but have not found a possible fix.

Any ideas, or is this just an inherent feature of the Connexion 3D mouse?

• 2 months later...

Not sure if tbis has been resolved but as of 2010 and release 3.9 of the 3d connexion driver(they release updates constantly) they added an auto rotation center that rotates about the center of mass when zoomed out but the center of view when zoomed in. You can also hold down CTRL and press your middle mouse button on geometry to set a new center.

Just in case someone finds this.