workspace: MAP classic

cat3appr

Hi,

Is there a way to set PERMANENTLY the workspace as MAP CLASSIC? So that each time i start it up i don't have to change it?

SDI: is there a way to make this work? I have it set to zero, so that I would open each DWG in the same CAD window... but it's not working! I have SDI= 0 and each time i open a DWG I open up a new CAD!

thanks, well i hope someone will be able to answer, it looks like a super difficult question, and i haven't found anything online :(

workspace.pngAre you saving the workspace after you set it current? My image is from 2016 but should be the same as in 2011. Also are are SP installed?

Just a further suggestion save a work space as your own like "cat3appr" set current and save, I have the Auto save turned off so it can not be accidentally changed. If I make a change then I force a save. By having your own workspace you can always go back the out of box settings if something really stuffs up and start again.

thanks guys, I wish it was that easy... i've already tried that, see screenshot. My settings are always like this.

I've done this in several different PCs and different CAD version, but nothing... when I restart CAD I need to re change to MAP classic workspace ..

anything else? a lisp maybe?

thanks!

Screenshot - 16_04_2016 , 09_12_33.png

If you have played with a user profile then start autocad with default profile it is ignoring your workspace, CONFIG PROFILE check it. Also check your desktop icon properties have a look at the end for /p > this is default for Civ3d metric.

Also try as I said make a new workspace, we have 9 pc's near me never had any problems.

thank you BIGAL, sorry it didn't work and the explanation has to be e more specific.

I did modify the target in the properties icon of CAD and i added a template which was on classic map workspace and no ribbon. it just didn't work. first of all, i got the error attached , and second, the ribbon is still there.

Is it really so complicated to set something that should be so straightforward? So far it's just easier to change to classic workspace and close the ribbon each time i open up cad. Strange there's nothing else.

Screenshot - 19_04_2016 , 11_48_49.png

Screenshot - 19_04_2016 , 11_49_04.jpg

/w is the Command Line Switch for Workspace see reference at: http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-8E54B6EC-5B52-4F62-B7FC-0D4E1EDF093A

Put it at the end followed by MAP CLASSIC or whatever the name of the profile you want. Best to click Rename… on the Profiles tab in Options and copy it from there to make sure you get it exactly right.

I don't think changing the profile is what you're looking for.

Just how did you go about adding the classic workspace to Map 3D? Did you follow the procedure that can be found online at the AutoDesk website or did you just wing it?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-map-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-add-the-AutoCAD-classic-workspace-to-Map-3D.html

How to force a workspace current upon start up (for AutoCAD and a wide range of verticals).

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Forcing-a-workspace-current-on-startup.html

• 3 weeks later...
Just how did you go about adding the classic workspace to Map 3D? Did you follow the procedure that can be found online at the AutoDesk website or did you just wing it?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-map-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-add-the-AutoCAD-classic-workspace-to-Map-3D.html

How to force a workspace current upon start up (for AutoCAD and a wide range of verticals).

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Forcing-a-workspace-current-on-startup.html

No guys, all the answers so far didn't work, for the simple reason that I need map classic workspace anytime I open any dwg, not just CAD on startup.

Of course I added the target on the icon, but that alone is useless, as I never start cad by it's icon, I usually open up a given dwg, and when i do that, it comes up with the wrong workspace. ..... any idea?

many thanks!

We have 8 copies around me and either icon or pick dwg name open in the users workspace each one is individually named. Really do not know any more.

We have 8 copies around me and either icon or pick dwg name open in the users workspace each one is individually named. Really do not know any more.

so there is no way to open any given DWG with a map classic workspace already set... each time one has to set it to map classic.... seems unbelievable...

Default workspace not loaded at startup - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Default-workspace-not-loaded-at-startup.html

All your issues are related to opening Map improperly. You should open drawings with Map, not the other way around. Your SDI mode doesn't allow Map to open multiple drawing at once so every time you double-click a drawing it opens a separate instance of Map. Opening drawings the right way would switch drawings the way you want.

Default workspace not loaded at startup - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Default-workspace-not-loaded-at-startup.html

All your issues are related to opening Map improperly. You should open drawings with Map, not the other way around. Your SDI mode doesn't allow Map to open multiple drawing at once so every time you double-click a drawing it opens a separate instance of Map. Opening drawings the right way would switch drawings the way you want.

Sorry ,that link didn't help anything.

my SDI is set to zero.

See, I need to adapt CAD on my way of working, not the other way around.

Please see the image attached, i have CAD opened in my main screen and in the other screen i have several explorer opened with several dwg's that i need to open up directly, as I keep under control the project and it's just easier and faster.

I can't each time open the dwg that i want by navigating through the infinite subfolders from CAD... it's just too inefficient.

It's unbelievable that one should open up a dwg only from within CAD if he wants to open it up with his default workspace

Screenshot - 11_05_2016 , 17_52_33.jpg

I add all the folders my projects are stored in to the AutoCAD Open dialog box to make getting to drawing files a snap. My Application Menu number of recently-used files is set to 50 for quick access to the last 50 drawings opened with AutoCAD so that would be useless to you as well. Hard to imagine a more efficient way of opening drawings.

• 11 months later...
Hi,

Is there a way to set PERMANENTLY the workspace as MAP CLASSIC? So that each time i start it up i don't have to change it?

SDI: is there a way to make this work? I have it set to zero, so that I would open each DWG in the same CAD window... but it's not working! I have SDI= 0 and each time i open a DWG I open up a new CAD!

I had this problem for quite some time with version 2014 and got frustrated every time I had to wait for everything to boot up on a workspace I did not like, and then have to wait again when I switched to my personal workspace. I tried everything in WSSETTINGS and even the supposed trick to add /w"" to the end of the Target source in the desktop icon... but nothing worked. I resided to the fact that I would just have to select my workspace every time... that is until I discovered a little icon sitting right in plain sight next to the workspace drop down list...

attachment.php?attachmentid=61200&cid=1&stc=1

it is the My Workspace command (WSCURRENT to be exact), and it sets the current workspace you are on as your default workspace... and I tested it by shutting down and starting up again and again just to make sure it would work... I actually stood up and pumped my fist after I tried it! Hope this solves your problem as well!

My Workspace.JPG