Drawing check / Approval process

Digger9

I'm currently in the process of establishing standards in my cad team of 15 persons which frankly were non existent until I took the managers role. I have been through the general drawing standards and we have even now embarked on the BIM journey.

The issue I am having is with my management is in terms of who should check and approve drawings. In my experience I have always thought the Drawn by - Check and Approved should all be different persons and for specific reasons i.e. Cad engineer - CAD Manager - Project Manager. Or Cad engineer - project manager - lead project manager.

I am just looking now for guidance on this? What do others do? Has anyone come across any BS or AEC which give guidance? The BIM side is a slightly difference beast but drawing outputs will still need checking and approving.

Any thoughts appreciated.:)

The checking part doesn't need to be someone higher in the Hierarchy though. Checked by could just as well be your fellow worker draftsman working on the same project.. $0.01

Its great to know I am on the right tracks thanks guys.

Its just getting across to senior management the check and approved shouldn't be the same person. I always thought of it as checked was for presentation/ cad standards. approved was for functionality project budget etc.

Have you used BIM/ 3d modelling and does this have an impact on the check/ approve process for output drawings (I know the models work differently)?

I have set up CAD systems for a few consultancies. My approach was always to make it as easy as possible for the checking and approval procedure and the system I've always ended up working towards was an access database system where the checking, approving, issuing and recording is all brought into a single form which various staff have input into.

Basically when drawings are being prepared a new drawing issue is opened by the designer in the access database (gives the admin staff the head's up). When ready to issue the designer completes the checks, signs off on the access database form then it's automatically emailed to the approver for his/her approval. Once they approve its another sign off on the access database form which automatically emails admin to issue the package to the client. All links to the location of the drawings to be checked and approved and generated automatically and included in the notification emails.

I've built in BIM systems to include sign offs on 2D & 3D correspond, etc. Also built in triggers to automatically email a certain designer if another design element has changed that will affect their design. Takes some time but well worth it for larger projects.

I find the main driver in quality is putting the emphasis back on the designers and emphasising that they are putting their name to that set of drawings. If you've any questions I'd be glad to try help.

• 10 months later...

The drawing sign off process should 'generally' have the following parties :

Drawn : CAD Tech who produced the drawing to the request of the Engineer.

Design : Engineer who produced the design that is featured on the drawing. (Can often also feature as the 'drawn' party, as engineers do a lot of their own CAD work these days).

Design Check : A 2nd competent engineer who can check the drawing for engineering accuracy/errors.

Approved : Often the 'project manager', the guy who is in control over which drawing should be produced and when for any given project. He/she will be in charge of issuing drawings to the correct people at the correct stage of the project.

Date : The date at which the drawing is deemed "fit for issue". Usually signed by the "approver"