viewbase problems

pimpster22

hi

I am working with autocad 2016 creating ga's of building structures.

all of the parts are xrefs with detail layouts

my problem occurs when i need to change things a little, say extend a column and move a baseplate.

i alter the column xref and reload it in the main dwg, move the base plate.

then when i go back to paper space and update the viewbase, the view now shows the new baseplate shaded as it should, and also shows the old baseplate position not shaded.

I have had this problem of showing historical objects in viewbase layouts. i have tried generating a new viewbase but they are still there. ive tried deleting the layout creating a new one then generating a new viewbase but they sill persist?

the main file size is about 24mb.

im running on windows 10 and running all the updates available for autocad?

any help on how i can recover these viewbases would be very helpful as the last time i encountered this problem i ended up redrawing the whole assembly in a fresh drawing.

thanks in advance

Was this drawing originally created using an earlier version of AutoCAD like 2014 for example?

no, it was created on the same computer using autocad 2016?

From the little I have been able to discover so far it seems the problem manifests itself when xrefs are used. BTW....I believe there was only one service pack for AutoCAD 2016.

From the little I have been able to discover so far it seems the problem manifests itself when xrefs are used. BTW....I believe there was only one service pack for AutoCAD 2016.

I agree, i have had some success detaching xrefs and re inserting them but it is very hit or miss

Have you tried to remove the unwanted objects from one of your base views using the method outlined in the Help file? Just curious.

i have tried editing the view, going into model space to de-select parts but these are historical part and no longer in model space?

the other problem that frequently occurs is the view become dead, so when i double click on it i don't get the contextual menu allowing me to go into model space to define the objects and sometime they just go blank. when this happen i just have to erase them and start again but even after creating a new view with viewbase these historical/ghost objects still appear.

i had one drawing the other day that was working fine. i was just about to pdf and send to the client and a load of these ghost brackets appeared, and they were in the same place as an old drawing that was used to create a template file that this drawing originated from? couldn't get rid of them, even erasing the sheet creating a new sheet and new view these old brackets would still appear.

i am left wondering if autocad is suited to this work. lots of xref models used to create an assembly and detail on layouts all being cataloged with the ssm?

is there a better way to work?

• 3 years later...

I understand your problem, as I encountered it too a while back.  I wrote a very small lisp routine back in the day which will "swap" the block name of a selection set of blocks for another block definition and after updating the selected objects, the drawingview object did exactly that.  I hade to remove the blocks from the base view before "swapping".  I believe this is due to the "lazy" association between model space objects (i.e. block definition contents) and the drawing views themselves.  AutoCAD fails to drill down into a block definition of xref when deciding what views need updating -> only top-level 3D objects propagate the "dirty" flag to the corresponding view. Essentially it is a nesting problem for Autodesk to solve...someday.

Till then, I suggest what I did - first remove, then replace, then add back again -> which could be automated.