I can't select a file on opening

cat3appr

Hello,

I've had this for a while. For some reason, when I try to open the folder location on any given file, I get a blank bar on " look in" , please see image... and it does't scroll down... so I can only select that specific dwg in explorer and run it.

It's also strange how, on the other hand, I manage to open up folders saved in "places"

any idea?

thanks!

Screenshot - 19_04_2016 , 11_57_23.png

What changes have you made recently?

Are you current with the latest service pack for 2011?

What steps have you taken thus far to troubleshoot the problem?

What changes have you made recently?

Are you current with the latest service pack for 2011?

What steps have you taken thus far to troubleshoot the problem?

No changes.

My autocad is MAP 3D 2014, windows 10 64bit

no steps taken, I hope to find help here

Your Profile says you are using AutoCAD 2011. Perhaps you should change it?

Is Map 3D 2014 supported under Win10?

When did the problem first occur?

Have you tried resetting settings to their default?

Have you tried a REPAIR of the installation (not the same as an Uninstall/Reinstall)?

Is Map 3D 2014 supported under Win10?

Not even a little bit. This is a typical Win 10 incompatibility issue. A lot of the "Windows" type controls in AutoCads older than 2016 SP1 do not work with Win 10.

• 4 weeks later...
Not even a little bit. This is a typical Win 10 incompatibility issue. A lot of the "Windows" type controls in AutoCads older than 2016 SP1 do not work with Win 10.

Aha, I knew it was Bill Gates fault. These darn software manufacturers with their ivory towers and their billion dollar cash flows have really lost touch with the working people of the world. No, I don't have $5K to blow on a new copy of AutoCAD. No I don't have $1K to blow upgrading my computer. I'm just trying to scrape by with a computer that has been very reliable running Windows 7 for the last 7 years. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But M$ forced Windows 10 on us and now lots of things like File Explorer, clipboard transfers when using Remote Desktop sessions, etc... are way too buggy to rely on. I wonder how M$'s new CEO would like it if I went into his computer and just changed it around, just because I wanted him to rent software from me until the end of time instead of buying it outright. Yes, I know the horse and buggy folks of the last century had to give up their livelihood too, but it didn't cost them $6K to change over to working on automobiles.

Edited by Bill Tillman

On the other hand, there are plenty more of us who embrace new technology and find new easier ways of doing things which actually make us better at our jobs.

I for one would like to thank those of you who not only jumped on Win8 when it came out but immediately switched over to Win10 upon its release. You make me happy I stayed with what works...Win 7. Solid as a rock even using the latest release of AutoCAD.

On the other hand, there are plenty more of us who embrace new technology and find new easier ways of doing things which actually make us better at our jobs.

Easier ways of doing things...you mean like a File Explorer that constantly crashes, or dropping $6K into software that you already own, or unsolicited advertisements flying in to your desktop. Is that the kind of easier stuff you're talking about. And "Mr. Holier than Thou" since you didn't actually understand the post, I have made the jump to new technologies. It's just that new technologies often resemble the picture on the wall of one of the other developers around here. A woman wearing a T-Shirt with this text:

Ninety-nine bugs in the code

Ninety-nine bugs in the code

Take one down

Patch it around

One-hundred seventeen bugs in the code

Moral: Be careful when you take the high road. It's often not as high as you think.

I for one would like to thank those of you who not only jumped on Win8 when it came out but immediately switched over to Win10 upon its release. You make me happy I stayed with what works...Win 7. Solid as a rock even using the latest release of AutoCAD.

I have 8.1 on both of my laptops, wish I still had Windows 7. :beer:

I don't use, need, nor crave touch screen, nor smart phone like behavior on my computer.

I do enjoy working on a 40"HD screen though. :|

When I bought a new computer for my daughters a couple years ago, and having already starting using Windows 8.1, I specifically sought out a Windows 7 rig.

Our entire company is still using Windows 7. Our IT department refuses to switch to a new OS unless it is forced to by a Microsoft decision to no longer support whatever OS we are currently running.

And "Mr. Holier than Thou" since you didn't actually understand the post...

Moral: Be careful when you take the high road. It's often not as high as you think.

I understood your rant perfectly fine. It's amazing that you forgot to mention that Windows 7 also had just as many complaints when it first came out, but then that would have nullified some of your points.

I did understand the post and I realize that you may not be familiar with all of the nuances of the new OS. That is one of the main reasons why people resist change, they don't like the learning curve. They also assume that because they are hearing all the complaints that the majority of users are having a bad experience. I can assure you that for every one of those people struggling with new stuff, there are many more that are getting on just fine and actually are enjoying the new stuff.

Oh, BTW, who is forcing you? You can keep the old stuff if you don't want to change.

Edited by RobDraw

Unfortunately, the time is soon coming when you will have no choice in the matter if it's M$ based. They will not install it on your computer. Instead your computer will login over the Internet and you will pay a monthly fee for the use of it. Need an app like Excel or Word, just enter your credit card information and it's all yours, on a "pay per use" platform. Like it or not people, it's coming. And if you're running Linux and you think you're immune to this, think again. The only OS I know of that (at least for moment) is not entertaining the adoption such policies are the BSD's and you can't run AutoCAD on them.

If and when that day comes I think smaller companies and many individuals will stick with whatever they have and try to make it work as long as they can. People tend to find ways around obstacles. Ex. - baggage fees? OK. Guess I'll just switch to carry on luggage. May not be pretty or convenient but it will work for the time being.

To the best of my recollection, this is the first time that an OS has been deemed to be borderline mandatory?

Which doesn't mean that it doesn't have some admirable qualities, Hell, it may just be the best thing since sliced bread.

But if you DO like unsliced bread, the baker still sells that too, and he doesn't sneak into your shopping cart, while you are fixating on the Ice Cream freezer, and switch the old school 7 grain loaf you selected with a loaf of Wonder Bread.

Hey, I liked Vista, we are all entitled to our opinions, I was sorry when that magic box gave up the ghost.

Opinions are never right or wrong, they are just that, opinions.

An opinion may be prevalent, but it can't be benevolent. :|

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=100000000000000000000000001662584

It strikes me as unscrupulous, that they would alter that popup box behavior, in order to try and sneak onto people's computers.

"We updated Windows 10 to a 'Recommended' update for Windows 7 & 8.1 customers whose Windows settings are configured to accept 'Recommended' updates on Thursday, May 12, 2016," a Microsoft spokeswoman said. "We added the additional notification based on user feedback and to ensure customers had an opportunity to change or cancel the schedule for the upgrade to Windows 10."