Which prog will match up a 3D model to a perspective photo ?

DBenz

Hi,

What prog will do this :-

Need to use perspective photos (taken on different cameras, scans of prints) of my subject matter and get the 3D model I am making to match up , orient, perspective etc, to the picture so I can establish where on the model certain features visible in the photo should go.

Tried sketchup but model was bigger than the photo of it when scaled up to match height.

I also have some pics that are not the full original pics but cropped, so for those I need to avoid a process that relies on the pic being 100% as taken. Something that allows picking of points in model and picture to match model up but is not upset by the cropped shot.

DBenz

Hi,

Some useful new leads in there on stage 1, getting the model into the photo, thanks,

The Blender videos I cant understand the guys slurred speech.

The FormZ however looks very useful and the video was easily listenable to. Not sure how to get hold of an affordable version as its only for matching up this model .

3Dsmax is expensive it says though a students licence as its for hobby use should suffice, steep learning curve, I hope just the photomatch will be doable with a few videos.

It is the need to marry the model into the photo then use photo to help complete the model that is important.

I think with everything seen so far no one is then adding to the model by tracing off the photo.

maybe I will have to cover the model in a fine grid and jot down the position on the grid where features occur, or can I get hold of a drawing tool and plot on the model something in the picture.

Its that second need of drawing using the photo that's still puzzling now.

My shortlist is Form and 3dsmax based on what appears to be a quality prog. Sketchup is very crude, commands I am used to just are not there. lines are too thick, its very slow rotating, yet my PC is very fast for my CAD prog.

DBenz