Changing Line Thickness

StArchitect

The problem is when I change the line thickness in model space it gets thicker in model space but the thickness does not appear in paper space.

Are you referring to the thickness property of polylines or LINEWEIGHT? Lineweight is displayed differently in paperspace than it is in modelspace. When we get a response we will go into more detail. In the meantime, if it is lineweight you are dealing with F1 and search lineweight. It will tell you why you may not be seeing the line weight changes in paperspace.

I know how ctb files work, I was wondering if I can change the thickness of lines (not polylines) manually without the use of the color table. For example: my thickest line I can draw is the color magenta but is there a way to make that line more thick...

@ReMark :Thanks but that only changes thickness in model space... I figured it out.... assign a color and its thickness in Plot Style Table Editor in the printing menu.

@ReMark :Thanks but that only changes thickness in model space... I figured it out.... assign a color and its thickness in Plot Style Table Editor in the printing menu.

OOTB CTB files have Lineweight set to "Use object lineweight"

With object lineweights set as bylayer (default) you would normally "Assign lineweight via the Layer Properties Manager." as ReMark said. While lines may also have thickness clearly you're talking about lineweights.

You can also assign lineweight to and object or a color in a CTB which would override as you found.

I know how ctb files work, I was wondering if I can change the thickness of lines (not polylines) manually without the use of the color table. For example: my thickest line I can draw is the color magenta but is there a way to make that line more thick...
I did not refer to ctb files. Your question was why your line thicknesses display differently in paperspace than they do in modelspace. If that is not actually what you meant, you will have to be more concise. For instance, you didn't indicate clearly, whether or not you are referring to lineweights. I can only assume that your statement that you are talking about lines, not polylines indicates that lineweights is your issue.

The following is all predicated on whether or not you have the toggle for display lineweights "on". Do you?

You can manipulate the layer lineweights, and/or the object properties lineweights all day long and it is not going to change the way lines are displayed differently between model and paperspace. In modelspace line weights are displayed in a relative comparison that is not real, that is it only shows you which lines are fat and which lines are not, and it shows an approximate ratio of fatness between the different lineweights. In modelspace, lineweight display has nothing whatever to do with how thick the lines will plot. This display "fatness" can be adjusted somewhere in Options - Display tab maybe.

In paperspace, lineweights are displayed in actual pixels to the closest WHOLE pixel at their true width (lineweight), within the limits of your display screen. It depends on your screen resolution as to how wide a pixel might be. If your lines are thinner than the monitor is capable of displaying as one pixel, then they will all be one pixel wide.

Looking up Lineweights with the F1 key, and drilling down a bit will explain it all, much more clearly than I can.

After seeing this, I sincerely suggest looking up lineweights, again.

And be precise in describing whether or not and when you are reffering to how lines display on the screen, in paperspace, or on a hard copy plot.

And please be aware that Width, Thickness, and Weight have clearly different meanings in AutoCad. It is a highly technical program and it helps to keep the vocab on target.

I learned that difference a few months back. My snap points were all jacked up in a P&ID, come to find out some where along the way someone (hopefully it wasn't me lol) decided we needed more depth in our 2d drawings. So now, rotating our 2d drawing to check for z geometry, is in our workflow...

Thickness thickness