2017: viewbase function not working for older drawings

rkent

I was trying to call up some drawings from either 2014 or 2015 (that had base views made from that release) in 2017 and it didn't work well. The existing views were corrupt and attempting to reproduce them or edit them would not bring the views back.

I tried copy and pasting to a new 2017 drawing and still had no luck with the viewbase command. Also tried recover and or audit commands with no luck.

I tried dxfout to several different releases and then opening in 2017 and the viewbase still failed to work.

This means that you shouldn't use anything from an older release in a new drawing, everything will have to be made from scratch instead of leveraging existing objects and blocks.

I have submitted this to Autodesk and they seem to agree that it is a software problem.

Just letting everyone know before they create a drawing from older objects and then find out at the end that viewbase won't work, which is what happened to me.

Anyone else see this same behavior with their 2017 release?

Running 2017 now but have yet to utilize ViewBase command. Interesting problem but disturbing at the same time. Thanks for the warning. When I get a moment I'll test it.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of little viewbase things to be aware of if you plan on using it. Viewbase 2014-2015 use a different engine than viewbase 2016 and up. If you open and save the file with a new version it will convert the drawing and it will no longer be usable by 2014-2015.

What you have in your drawing is a corruption of the viewbase root dictonary. This will either completely break viewbase or, if it does work, only a handful of objects will show up in a viewbase 'all' view. The solution is to delete all viewbase entries on the page layouts, use the Purge Dictonary Items lisp and delete all SY_ entries (synergy). After that you can open the drawing and create viewbase views normally.

We've lost some massive drawings to this issue. It stems from the order that objects are created and labeled within synergy engine. If you're doing heavy editing after the drawings have been created you will run into this problem. There are some tricks around it with careful 3d editing, for example when slicing an object make sure to always delete the side you do not want. Do not create two solids from the slice. Etc.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

We just recently switched from 2016 to 2017 Autocad and are having problems with viewbase, as you have described. You mentioned using the Purge Dictionary Items lisp...how do I access that?

Thanks!

Hello,

We just recently switched from 2016 to 2017 Autocad and are having problems with viewbase, as you have described. You mentioned using the Purge Dictionary Items lisp...how do I access that?

Thanks!

I found a reference to it here in the very first post by scot-65.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/today-s-giveaway-purge-dictionary-items-pdi/td-p/2655264

The PDI LISP may not be required in 2016 and 2017. If you delete all viewbase views and RECOVER the drawing it should work correctly now.

From what I've read AutoCad 2017 has some problems with blocks and viewbase (which could be your problem). We are using AutoCad 2016 and waiting for it to be fixed.

• 1 month later...

I same problem using 2017.

Trying to open 2016 drawings of large xref'd assemblies of 3d solids , none of drawing views appear and some are empty with red boundaries. Have noticed that opening up some of the component drawings that do not contain any xrefs' does not exhibit the same behavior, the drawing views still exist but have red boundaries. Thought it my be a modeldoc problem because when creating a new view the view initially appears, then you are prompted for elevations 3d views etc as usual, these all appear great until you exit the command then they all disappear. Interestingly I have a drawing that has 12 xref'd components, some of these 12 also contain xrefs' so they are ultimately nested in my current drawing. To these assembled Xrefs I have added a couple of rivets to complete the drawing, in the 'empty' viewports the rivets still seem to appear. So none of the xref data appears only the local data. This is a real problem as we have many hundreds of drawings.

Any fixes greatly appreciated.

Would it be possible to save to an older version DWG (like 2007) and then save to a 2017 version DWG and have everything convert to the new Viewbase version correctly? Just brainstorming.

I haven't used this command at all in the 2017 version of Autocad.

Have you tried running an audit command on the component drawings (the ones without any XREF's)? Not sure if that would help.

The only other thing I can think of would be to explode the solids into their component parts until the xref's show up properly - if that would even work.

-Chris