Been tasked with buying aftermarket video processors on a budget

Dana W

Well, I installed my Quadro K2200 today. It runs, and it makes drawing seem a little smoother, no more step-freeze zooming on attached pdf floor plans. Even the screen is more clear (may be due to cleaning it off). :P It does have a cute little piggyback cooling fan of its own. We are not sure yet if the new cards are helping a great deal. Seat of the pants says they may save a noticeable amount of minutes in a day.

I am not sure limited GPU is the cause of our biggest problem with one particular pdf attachment. My co-worker has a 27 meg pdf file attached to a drawing. The attachment is one page of 49, and the whole pdf file accounts for the 27 meg. There are no issues navigating or drawing until the cursor is over the pdf, and it is zoomed in quite close. Then the whole AutoCad window permanently freezes, and can only be stopped with task manager.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• RobDraw

• f700es

• SLW210

Not sure if this will help but have you tried extracting that one page and referencing the single page file?

I should think that would likely help quite a bit. :beer:

I typically avoid using pdf's in my drawings. If I need to use one, or several, I will save to .jpg format.
We need the snap-ability of the vector pdf.

Not sure if this will help but have you tried extracting that one page and referencing the single page file?
we got unfavorable looks when discussing this. Is there an inexpensive program that can do that? We don't have real pdf software in drafting, and according to bossman, the "real thing" is too expensive.

we got unfavorable looks when discussing this. Is there an inexpensive program that can do that? We don't have real pdf software in drafting, and according to bossman, the "real thing" is too expensive.

I used to use Bluebeam at the last office where I worked. I loved it and it was way better than Acrobat. And in comparison to the cost of Autocad, or buying new computers or expensive video cards, it is not expensive at all. There is a 30 day trial you can download here: http://www.bluebeam.com/us/trials/cad/

I agree with Rob and also maybe use a clipping boundary around just the area you need to reference.
I tried clipping, and I took a look at the pdf file. It is rammed full of all the layer and block data, and it is from AutoCad Architecture 2014. The file is a pig. My co-worker's machine still freezes up on the clipped pdf when zoomed in close enough to differentiate pieces parts. He's running an I 5 with 12 gig, and the 4 gig quadro 2200. Turns out Co-worker doesn't need the pdf for tracing, only for reference. Right now I have him with the pdf in Adobe reader in another window. Nope, there are no dual monitors either. This is the guy that stuck with 2006 for ten years. I had to show him how to download Adobe Reader and install it. That was like herding cats up a hill. He is also mystified by a Windows file directory. His desktop is covered with folders, none shortcuts.

I used to use Bluebeam at the last office where I worked. I loved it and it was way better than Acrobat. And in comparison to the cost of Autocad, or buying new computers or expensive video cards, it is not expensive at all. There is a 30 day trial you can download here: http://www.bluebeam.com/us/trials/cad/
Thanks, I couldn't remember the part of the name after Blue :P. We live in a subdivision with 4 nearby streets named Blue something, Bluejack Oak Way, Blue Heron Circle, Blue Moon Court,and Blueberry Avenue. Central Florida has lots of blue stuff, especially blueberries. My wife even works for a huge producer of fruit from this area. They threaten to pay her in blueberries. I'll give the trial a go on Monday. IT's beer thirty here now.