Template is changing after editing SFSP

pixel8er

Hi all

I have got my AutoCAD starting from a template loading from a desktop shortcut with a /p switch. That's all fine.

But if I make a change to the Support File Search Paths - the next time AutoCAD starts up it uses the new settings - not the ones in the template file. Why is that?

Thanks Paul

I'm no expert with profiles but that is the way mine works.

I'll need to change my method then. Was hoping to use profile to force search paths to be to company standards

Add a profile before making the changes and set current then adjust paths. Should work. Pretty sure changes are saved in current profile.

I was hoping changes were only saved by exporting the profile, but it appears not.

This really seems like a trivial issue. If there are standard search paths, no one should be deleting them from their options. We have a standard profile that is saved to a restricted area of the network so that no one can alter it except for the CAD manager. Our workstation profiles are saved somewhere else, AutoCAD's default I guess locally somewhere so that we can do some customization at our own risk. (Like I said, I'm no expert about this so I don't know all the technical details.) The static profile is always available for reloading if things go awry. Search paths is something that people don't mess with around here anyway. If it were a problem, the profile would get locked down and no customizations would be allowed. Just tell the nonconformists to stop or they will be forced to stop.

I have got my AutoCAD starting from a template profile loading from a desktop shortcut with a /p switch. That's all fine.

But if I make a change to the Support File Search Paths - the next time AutoCAD starts up it uses the new settings - not the ones in the template profile file. Why is that?

Because that is the way it works.

Read the second sentence in the paragraph under number 3, here.

Hence the reason I SET the SFSP (via lisp code) each time AutoCAD launches.

This really seems like a trivial issue..

I guess it depends on the company standards and QA requirements. It's an integral part for me. I don't want to leave it so that there is the possibility for users to make changes - because in my experience they will. It's too late finding out after the documents are issued.

One small example is the pen settings. I've had a few issues with users doing a 'save as' and creating their own ctb file on there Cdrive and pointing there SFSP to their C drive. This is bad enough, but when other users try to plot the drawings look different because they don't have access to the custom ctb file.

There are other examples. Basically I don't want, nor does my company, to leave the possibility for the users to make any changes.

Hence the reason I SET the SFSP (via lisp code) each time AutoCAD launches.

That's great to hear! That's how I have been managing it previously. We have a new group of users now who work in metres so I needed a way to set different SFSP for the template to differentiate between the mm and metres users.

I guess it depends on the company standards and QA requirements. It's an integral part for me. I don't want to leave it so that there is the possibility for users to make changes - because in my experience they will. It's too late finding out after the documents are issued.

There are companies that would let those people find employment elsewhere because there are others to take their place that would be more than willing to follow standards.

AutoCAD installed as a local environment can be manipulated in so many ways. I don't think you will be able to make them unavailable. The best thing I could think of to ensure a 'military enforced' environment is by using virtual machine technology. But why not give employees the trust as they are professionals..? You should ask yourself what it is that makes them adjust certain setup files..

Pixel8er no problems having 2 profiles one feet one metric I would start with a default out of box say imperial make the profile and give it a name. Open a metric dwt and set it up how you want again make a profile and a ARG. It sounds like what your not doing is you must import the arg so it is available in either profile, it does not need to be current just imported. Look at Autocad out of box install say CIV3d and you have a metric & Imperial icon on the desktop.

One last thing look at your Main Customization menu you may need two for the different environments, or a better way is to have partial menus as you can use same name for commands but code is different for feet/m.