Inventor UCS and default sketch plane orientations

ColinPearson

Hello folks... new to Inventor, been using AutoCAD near daily at work for about 12 years or so. I'd like to change my default UCS orientation AND the default sketch planes' orientations to be +X=right/east, +Y=north/into screen and +Z=up. I've figured out how to change the orientation of the View Cube so that my Front View is +X to right and +Z to up, and the Home View to be an iso view from the southwest with everything oriented how I would like. However, when I initiate the Sketch command, my XY sketch plane is still vertical, not like the default views of the UCS planes.

I've looked online and there's so many people that want to argue about which way is right or wrong; that's not my point here. Mathematically, any three orthogonal axes are legitimate, but as a practical matter, users interface with other things they are used to working with e.g. CAD, spreadsheets, etc. I don't believe there's a "right" orientation, I'd just like to change mine to the way I'm used to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Colin.

Whilst I personally don’t find what you are asking for to be useful, I have come across this by mistake and don’t see why anyone else’s opinion should be of importance.to you. If it works for you; do it.

Try this.

1/ Open inventor.

2/ Go to the big “I”. (Top left corner of screen).

3/ In the dialogue box that appears, click “options” . (Bottom middle).

4/ New dialogue box appears. Select the “Part” tab.

5/ New dialogue box appears. In the top left box (Sketch on new part creation) there are four options. The top one is set as default. Followed by- Sketch on X/Y plane, Sketch on Y/Z plane, Sketch on X/Z plane. Try selecting the plane you wish to work on.

6/ Click “apply” followed by “close

Give it a try. Nothing to lose. There are no guarantees. I am still learning too.

Tim

I did that TIMMERS and had no luck... but I just tried again and it seems to have stuck. Maybe I didn't Apply before OK or something. thanks!