Trim crossing lines only

From how I understand it, if I execute the trim command and hit space without selecting a cutting edge, it will trim any line I click on to the nearest apparent intersection. With complex drawings, this sometimes means I have to click several times to trim one short line segment because so many apparent intersections exist.

Is there a setting that will let me use this functionality to trim only at real intersections where the lines actually cross rather than at apparent intersections?

Here is a screenshot from my SYSVDLG dialog, explaining the options available, in 2013, not sure if they will be the same in AutoCad 2004.

edgemode system variable.JPG

I wasn't aware that such a dialog existed, and so I thank you for the info. I already looked up this particular variable online, but for the sake of learning other things, I will be reading the hell out of this dialog box.

It looks the same in Autocad 2004, but for some strange unknown reason it just crashed my Autocad session. It was just sitting there with the SYSVDLG box open as I was typing this.

I wasn't aware that such a dialog existed, and so I thank you for the info. I already looked up this particular variable online, but for the sake of learning other things, I will be reading the hell out of this dialog box.

It looks the same in Autocad 2004, but for some strange unknown reason it just crashed my Autocad session. It was just sitting there with the SYSVDLG box open as I was typing this.

Interesting, I didn't think you would have it in 2004, as it is still called an Express Tool. :)

It is in incredible resource, and will help you to troubleshoot and optimize your system variable settings, while teaching you plenty about what goes on in the belly of the beast.

Using your keyboard cursor arrow you can just scroll down through the list, until you see something that catches your eye, no need to stop and click each one.

Thanks Miller! :beer:

I am pretty sure that express tools isn't in 2004 without an add-on. I didn't set it up at my work though, so I could be wrong. If I didn't have Express Tools, I'd be clawing my eyes out, since I use the layer manager and extrim every single day. I'm sure I use others daily as well. I am still dumbstruck by how many features don't come default in Autocad and have to be added in with LISP (saving selection sets, chain select, invert selection, etc). Perhaps they're in newer versions, but I haven't found them. I use AutoCAD 2016 at home, but I don't work at home nearly as often.

That is exactly why LISP is available. It would be impossible to provide tools for every discipline and every workflow. The ability to customize it so extensively is probably one of AutoCAD's best features.

• 3 weeks later...