Use a USB stick to transport inventor project?

TIMMERS

Hi folks.

Is there an easy way to save a full inventor project to a USB memory stick that would allow me to work on the project at both collage and home? The collage is running an education version and at home I am running the student version (both 2016)

Thank you

Tim.

Simply create a folder for your work.

Create the project file (*.ipj) within the folder.

Are you experiencing some sort of problem?

You could also use your A360 drive. (if you have internet connection at both locations)

Thank you.

I haven’t found my way to (.ipj) files yet, so will now look it up. We seem to have been dropped in to the deep end, started drawing “parts” and working with “assemblies” and “drawings”. All very exiting but have not been through the basics. It might be a case of getting hooked before the boring stuff puts us off. Being a newbie to inventor I find I often need simple step by step instructions. Thank you for the lead.

Tim

I save my drawing to the desktop --- go out of autocad --- LEFT click your mouse on the autocad icon on the desktop --- click send to and click on the flash drive you want it sent to. Works for me.

Thank you both.

Mark is correct. I have been using autocad for many years and saving to external file is easy. Then to work from this file on more than one pc works, keeping the drawing up to date. However in an inventor project there are likely to be many files, some "part" some "assembly" some "drawing" and even some "presentation". Inventor keeps them together under the heading of "project". I understand this "project" file has the suffix - .ipj . This is the file I would like to get at and save on a portable drive, allowing me to work on the project from more than one pc, without having any sync. or updating problems. I am trying out 360 cloud as suggested by JD. but struggling to make that work as yet.

once again thank you.

Tim

Tim,

That's not quite what a Project file is for. The project file is essentially a text file on steroids that points to the working directory, templates, styles, etc. You would still have to port the ENTIRE set of files from one location to another in some way.

Autodesk A360 is free and gives you 5-25GB of storage for free, but you can also try...

Dropbox

Box.net

Also you may not be able to use the A360 service at school, some proxies prevent cloud storage.

My two cents...

Avoid using Content Center, it puts files outside your normal workspace. If you have to use CC, then place all your parts as Custom and not Standard.

Use a SINGLE ipj and a workspace where you store everything. Make it at the root of your C drive.

Copy and Paste this to a flash drive or cloud drive and understand everything is in this one folder with subfolders or whatever else you have in there.

I'm just trying to keep this easy for you, but there are more complicated ways to ensure proper syncing and transfer of files from one source to another.

Thank you Mark.

Dropbox is well worth exploring, exporting all the individual files, as I do with word or excel, one file at a time. Assembly files will presumably need all the associated files to be downloaded at the same time. I will explore how to introduce multiple files back into inventor.

Tim

Suggestion for a nice trick:

If you don't have Dropbox account yet, open a new one and install on your desktop and your colleague with the same account (exactly like you are using 2 computers, same username pass etc..), now the tricky part is only content center, you will have to make sure that your project file is looking for the same path and this you can can change on each project. Basically what I do is a full copy of content center to a Dropbox location with read\ write permission. And each project I'm changing to that location under "Folder Option" (see it in the project folder dialog box)

Thank you Zak. Seems simple enough for even me. I will give it a try next week (back in college)

Tim