Fire Sprinkler Designer
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Sprinkler Fire Protection.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2014

Wink Multiple layouts from a single model with viewports

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hi all, firstly, apologies for my lack of technical terms on this, please bear with me whilst I try to explain what I am struggling with!

Right, I have got a drawing of a school that we are designing the fire sprinkler layout on. For the initial approval drawings, I have printed it to scale an A0 paper which is fine. However, I am now looking at doing the construction issue drawings following the approval and I want these on no larger than A1 paper and a larger scale for ease of use on site. This is where my problem comes in.

A colleague has previously split the original layout of another drawing up on the modal tab which worked, however, he was missing things when he made changes on one as he didn't move it straight over to the next saved area on another file. Therefore, I have seen it done before but not sure how, where it is a single model for the entire drawing, and then multiple layouts that show a pre-selected area on the model drawing to different layout pages.

Does anyone have any advise on how to do this or a tutorial that I could read etc. I assume I would make a new layer for viewports and draw over the main drawing the areas where I want the splits, create my page layouts and then pick the referenced areas that I drew on the viewport layer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

There is a really good thread that ReMark posted a few years ago, talking about his approach to the use of paperspace viewports.

It sounds like it will really help you to quickly come to grips with your situation.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...bout-Viewports.

When you start creating your layouts, you will be able to define the view, and the scale of what is shown in each one, and they can all be different.
    Just pick an appropriate scale, once you have the view more or less how you want it in the viewport, then be sure to LOCK the viewport.
    You can also VIEWPORT freeze any layers that you don't want to show in a particular viewport.
    I am quite sure ReMark discusses that, I haven't read this post in a long time, but it is quite comprehensive.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 29th Apr 2016 at 10:41 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    RichardLloyd's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    RichardLloyd's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Fire Sprinkler Designer
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2014

I've had a good look at that article and while it is very informative, it doesn't exactly tell me what I think is possible. Is there anymore advice available? I'm sure it is possible to draw the viewports on the model tab on a separate layer set not to print and then link or clip the viewports on separate paper layouts? I'm sure some drawing I've had sent to me are done like this but I don't know how it is done.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

While there certainly are other approaches, I see no reason why they might be better. This is the same system which I have used for the last 8 years quite successfully.
    I suppose you could create VIEWS, with saved layer snapshot, instead, by creating a NEW VIEW in your View Manager, which is another trick I use sometimes, when I want to set up easily accessible custom perspectives for repeatability.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    Cad64's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Profesional x64
    Computer:
    XI Computers
    Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    CPU:
    Intel Core I7 3770K 4.1 Ghz Quad Core 3rd Gen
    RAM:
    24GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    Graphics:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    SATAII 500GB 7200 RPM
    Secondary Storage:
    Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II - 2TB capacity
    Monitor:
    HPf2105 21" LCD Widescreen & Cintiq 21ux
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Cad64's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Freelance Digital Artist
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    3D model building, texturing and rendering. Photoshop Color Graphics.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

If I understand correctly, you want to create viewports in paper space based on predefined outlines that you have drawn in model space? I have never known Autocad to have this sort of functionality, but I did some digging around online and found this: http://drive-cad-with-code.blogspot....odelspace.html. There is some pretty extensive coding involved, but apparently it can be done. If you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a video that shows how the code works.
    CGSociety Portfolio: http://rdeweese.cgsociety.org/
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/rdeweese67/

"Work Smart, Not Hard"

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

A dwg I have has 88 layouts of one 18 street design. So different scales etc its easy.

1st step and a must insert your title block in a layout in paperspace at 1:1 scale ie A1 ours is 801x554mm

2nd make a viewport inside your title block use mview etc. Double click inside it and as a first go Zoom E

3rd Make sure you have the "viewports" tool bar on, metric is a dream here for scale. Zoom in roughly to the area of interest and get a view about how you like it. Look at the viewport toolbar a number appears in the right hand box, this is the zoom scale factor. If I get say 2.365 I type in the box 2 this is exactly 1:500 for a metre metric plan.

4th just plot your title block on a A1 sheet at 1:1 scale if you want A3 then just set it to 1:2

We work in metres so a quick scale lesson 1000/500=2 1:500 1000/250=4 1:250 it takes us seconds to set a sheet to the view required.

Need a bit to the right. Copy the layout stretch the mview window to the right shrink the left and just move the whole window back to the middle of the sheet. Scale is still correct.

5th Just copy the layout as many times as you like, click on the viewport border, then right click and set Display Locked to Yes to prevent accidental zooming.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Fire Sprinkler Designer
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2014

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately my boss won't buy the full package yet so coding is not an option I don't think on LT, but I will take a look at the other ways. What is viewport clipping all about out of interest, and what about named viewports?

I was wondering if it was a case of creating the vp boundary, naming it in model space, then inserting a named viewport in the paper space layout.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Everything I have posted is supported by LT !

I think your reading stuff into using layouts and making it complicated. Again try my steps.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Fire Sprinkler Designer
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2014

I thought coding wasn't available on LT, I will have to read more into it and take a look. I always used to use paperspace to print before I moved company, and then they had a different view and did everything on pre-scaled model templates. It's OK until you get an architectural drawing sent over which doesn't fit on a single page and then you have to split the dwg up. This is how things are getting missed when we have to do revisions.
    Last edited by RichardLloyd; 2nd May 2016 at 08:25 am. Reason: Spelling

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Richard: I don't see where you are getting the reference to "coding" from the suggestions provided by BIGAL in post #6.

I suggest that you attach a copy of the drawing you are working on to your next post so someone here can take a look at it.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.