Xref Managment

Tota123

Hello,

Please correct me or advise me with better solution

I have an existing drawing for composite utilities, I need to make modification on it, so I need to distinguish between the existing xref and use fading to give it bright or thin color, then show my new changes as bold and colored layers.

Here what I did

I did open a new drawing window, xref the existing utility plan, turned off some layer and kept the first discipline to modify it using fading as required.

the first problem that I need to use the exact layer properties fir water line as the existing but will be bold and the existing same properties but bright, shall I create a new layer uses the same properties? if yes that mean a lot of work as there as many layers in the project or there is a way to copy the layers or advise?

Secondly: I tried to look at a tiny windows, from layout window I preview the plot of specifics area with changes, I found that it is not distinguished and all layers lines are the same (clear and bold)

Pick on the xref layer and hit the new button, that layer will be set with the color and other properties of that layer, proceed from there.

Pick on the xref layer and hit the new button, that layer will be set with the color and other properties of that layer, proceed from there.

when I did that ant i tried to print the layout, it gave me all the lines as it is new, but I need to show it as distinguished, the existing bright color the changes with clear and bold color, any advise?

You over ride the xref layers to print and show lighter. You can do that through viewports or globally.

This is a very simple layer exercise and the company you work for should have standards in place for doing this type of thing. The way that you should do it could be quite different from what others may suggest.

Make sure your plot file is color dependent. This way you can place your xref on a light color like gray and make your changes a darker color like blue or red, then when you plot it the xref will be a lighter shade on the plot than your changes which will look bolder and stand out. Look at this drawing and you will see what I mean.

FA 2-0.pdf

Make sure your plot file is color dependent. This way you can place your xref on a light color like gray and make your changes a darker color like blue or red, then when you plot it the xref will be a lighter shade on the plot than your changes which will look bolder and stand out.

This is one of many ways to approach it but one needs to be aware of the pen settings as they can be quite different from yours and could actually give undesirable results. Color dependency is not the only way accomplish this. In fact, some would say it is old school and very limiting. I tend to agree.

Know your standard pen settings. I cannot stress this enough.

Find out how you are supposed to be doing this according to company policy.

I think this like the one of a very few time the OP has to do this, if he uses a color dependent plot style like greyscale then it's less work for him in the long run. Sure it's old school and you really only get light and dark on the output but that's what he is looking for isn't it?

I think this like the one of a very few time the OP has to do this, if he uses a color dependent plot style like greyscale then it's less work for him in the long run. Sure it's old school and you really only get light and dark on the output but that's what he is looking for isn't it?

Negative. The OP needs to know what is required from his place of employment. Plus, he needs to be aware of what the CTB actually does before using it. You can't just blindly dive into the deep end and expect everything to be fine. If it works out that way then nothing is learned.