Coordinate question

brite1212

Hey everyone im new here and in the process of learning autocad. I have a newbie question that concerns this paragraph---The area is located in a state that bases all surveys on

the intersection of a meridian and a baseline for that

state. Therefore, the origin (or point 0,0) for all surveys is

at that intersection, and any X and Y coordinates tell the

distance in feet from the intersection. If, for example, a

benchmark is at point 11675,39532, the benchmark is

2.21 miles east of the intersection and 7.49 miles north

of the intersection---- that's the paragraph and my question is how can you determine that the benchmark is 2.21mi east and 7.49mi north of the intersection by knowing that the coordinates are 11675,39532? Please help

Let me guess. You are enrolled in the Penn-Foster AutoCAD course and you are working on the Oleson Village project trying to lay out the subdivision boundary. Is that correct?

Penn-Foster projects are not known for their accuracy. If one does the conversion from miles to feet the results come out as follows:

2.12 miles = 11668.8 feet

7.49 miles = 39547.2 feet

Coordinates are express in X/Y terms. "X" in this case would be east while "Y" would be north.

When the coordinates are in feet and the distance is in miles, divide by the number of feet in a mile, 5280.

I'd suggest taking a look in the Student Projects Questions subforum of the one you started this thread in as you'll find a number of threads regarding this particular project. Some of the threads will have images of the project attached which you may find helpful.