Penn Foster Basketball autocad project

shammarasimon

I am working on the basketball project now. I can't seem to figure out the distance from the rim to the shot arm mounting block on the top view. Help??? There doesn't show this distance anywhere in the provided info...

I may be able to assist you but my documentation is at work and I'm at home now. Perhaps tomorrow? I'll check this thread in the morning when I get into my office. That's the best I can offer at the moment.

Good Morning.

As promised I am checking in. For a moment I thought I had lost the set of instructions for this project but a post in a previous thread about it finally led me to the source. You asked about the distance from the rim to the shot arm mounting block in the top view. You correctly state it is not specifically called out in the project instructions for the top view nor is it referenced in the side view. I also checked the written description for the mounting block and the court/base but they too fail to provide a dimension. Therefore you have two choices available to you. 1) Guesstimate. 2) Email or call your instructor and ask if he/she can provide you with some clarity (i.e. - an actual dimension). Note: The two provided sketches do not provide the student with enough dimensions to calculate the distance and I notice that the centerlines of the two pan head screws used to secure the mounting block to the court/base are not dimensioned either (nor are those dimensions provided in the text). Classic Penn-Foster screw up.

Caveat: My copy of the PDF which contains the instructions for this project dates from 2013 so it may not be entirely up-to-date. If you feel comfortable sharing a copy of the instructions you have I would be willing to look into this further. Of course that means I am assuming P-F corrected any errors and omissions which normally doesn't happen at all or takes a very long time. I've gone through this with a couple of the other projects (ex. - Oleson Village) so I know what is involved.

I never did this project but looking at the instructions I notice a couple of other instances where P-F fails to provide the student with the required information. Ex. - size of socket head cap screws and distance from centerline of backboard to centerline of cap screws. In my opinion the version I have is poorly written.

Edited by ReMark

An interesting little project that once again Penn-Foster manages to provide inaccurate information for or information is missing. None-the-less here is my take on it based upon the project instructions from three years ago. First up is the top, front and side views with projection lines added of my own accord.

BBallGame_2D views.jpg

Yes, the hidden lines are dashed but to see them I'd have to provide individual images for each view like this.

BBallGame_2D closeup.jpg

Next up is a 3D model. Not required by P-F but I thought I would use it to generate 2D views created using the Flatshot command.

BBallGame_3D_SE_ISO.jpg

Can't really see the cap screws that attach the rim to the backboard or those that attach the shot arm mounting block (pinkish color) to the court/base (yellow color) nor is the countersunk screw all that easy to see (connects shot arm, in red, to mounting block). These will require slightly different, close up, views.

Here is a closeup of the back of the backboard, in X-Ray visual style, showing the socket head cap screws that hold the rim on and how the top of the post is fitted to the backboard.

BBallGame_3D_XRAY1.jpg

Closeup of shot arm showing countersunk (phillips head)screw. I substituted this screw for the pan head machine screw called for in the instructions.

BBallGame_3D closeup1.jpg

And a closeup of the bottom of the court/base showing the socket head cap screws used to attach the shot arm mounting base.

>BBallGame_3D closeup2.jpg

Edited by ReMark

Next up are the three standard views derived from the 3D model using the Flatshot command. Hidden lines are dashed and in blue.

BBallGame_Flatshot views.jpg

OK...last two. The first one is a basic exploded view. The second is a section cut through the backboard and rim shown in a X-Ray visual style.

BBallGame_3D_ASSEMBLY.jpg

BBallGame_3D_XRAY2.PNG

In the course of doing this project I found the images to be somewhat misleading so I would recommend the student treat them as a general guide. It would have been helpful to have the size of the socket head cap screws and the dimensions relating to the centerlines called out. I substituted a countersunk screw for the pan head machine screw called for in the instructions because I felt it made more sense (a pan head machine screw would not have been flush with the end of the shot arm). The size and dimensions for this screw should have been called out as well. The location of the first hole for the scoring pins should have been better defined. And there is no clear indication as to the location of the shot arm mounting block. Why wasn't a dimension from the edge of the court/base provided? Students doing this project would be wise to contact their instructor for clarification on these and other matters affecting this project. Good luck.

Edited by ReMark

Yes I have my instructions here. Trying to figure out how to attach it here...

The file first has to be uploaded then attached. Start by clicking on the Go Advanced button below the lower right hand corner of the Reply box.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that you delete the drawing file you attached to the above post. Why? Because another P-F student doing the same elective project can "borrow" your drawing and pass it off as his own without ever laying done one line. Understand?

As for the drawing itself it looks pretty good however there are a few entities that really should be shown using a dashed or hidden linetype as they would not be visible to the viewer.

Here are the instructions and what I have drawn for the ortho drawing...

You should remove the drawing.

The instructions appear to be exactly the same as the copy I have which means they are just as incomplete and misleading as ever.