Working from a survey plan

Hi, i have been given a survey plan that i have to add a floor plan of a house to.

i have the distance from the boundaries to the corners of the house.

i have tried offsetting the boundaries by the respective distances an then using the ALIGN tool but it only snaps the house to one line.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

So in other words you have been tasked with creating what is called a plot or site plan. I'd suggest attaching a copy of the drawing to your next post and someone here will take a look at it and get back to you. An image is of no use; it has to be a .dwg file.

BTW...what units are you working in (metric or imperial)?

FYI - Normally plot/site plans show the footprint of the building and not the actual floor plan. Floor plans are also usually done at a much larger scale than plot plans. Plot/site plans are primarily used to show the relationship of a building to the surrounding property lines. It will also show the setback lines as called for by city zoning regulations as well as such features as driveways, out buildings (sheds and garages), fences, retaining walls, and locations of miscellaneous features such as wells, nearest street(s) and property markers (i.e. - pins or stakes).

Edited by ReMark

i have tried offsetting the boundaries by the respective distances an then using the ALIGN tool but it only snaps the house to one line.

This probably cannot be done in one step. Move the house so that it is the correct distance from one of the boundaries. Then move it along that offset until it meets the other offset.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

so I have been given the Dwg file. with which i offset the boundaries to make the Magenta box.

I then drew the floor plan (not finished, i really just need the outline)

everything is there for me to just copy, it should be the simplest thing...

but i cant come up with a good way to align all the corners to the edges.

thanks for your help.

Survey (1).dwg

Survey 1.pdf

Floor plan.pdf

Where did you get the offsets from and how do you know they are correct? For that matter how do you know the property line is drawn correctly?

I can get two offsets to match exactly, two to come close and one that is off not by a whole lot but enough to discount. Either something was measured wrong or something was drawn wrong. At the moment I don't have time to puzzle it out. Weekends are always very busy for me. If I have time to revisit the problem maybe I can improve upon the results.

Edited by ReMark

One has to realise that surveys to property are not inch (or millimetre) perfect, and one usually has to do a best fit.

In the attached picture, I made the two corners to be parallel with their boundary, and split the difference thereafter each way.

But one could play around with the shape much more, but would it be any better?

BestFit.jpg

Are the distances from the corners of the house perpendicular to the property line?

I took the dimension from each corner, perpendicular to the nearest property line. I presume that is what was intended.

Is this an existing structure, or is it yet to be built?

If it is existing, why didn't the surveyors furnish triangulation distances for at least two corners of the house? It is inexcusable that they did not. :o

The information you have is not really going to lay the house in place all that accurately. Too much nudging, fudging, and twisting by eye going on.

I have two paychecks that say the distances were measured with a surveyor's tape reel running through bushes, and over rocks, and around trees.;)

Every existing house and lot I ever field measured were drawn up using triangulating distances from at least two adjacent property corners, to two corners of the house. These distances were not however, on the final drawing. At minimum. how far off the BRL the house sat and distances to the front, and one side property line, were on the drawing. It depended on the purpose of the drawing, how much info was on it.

Untitled.jpg

yes i took it to be measured perpendicular to the corners also, i didn't realize that it need not be exact, that will help a whole lot,

thanks so much! I think i can move forward from here.

i am not quite sure how this happened, but if you look at the floor plan, and add the dimensions on the second line down, the overall dimension on the top line is 185 short. (My summation was 17735.)

Coupled with the fact that the direction of the boundaries drawn is not as the figured whole circle bearings, I think that you are near enough.

This is pretty much what we go through on a day to day. We do lots of Lot Grading Plans for builders. The fact that the surveyors did not get all the required info, just like Dana said, is inexcusable. You're only as good as your weakest link (Old saying but I find it to be true). Good luck and I'm glad that the previous guys were able to help you out. Good luck