Why would you not use planes?

SuperCAD

Thanks, Matt. I'll keep you in mind. I've been trying to explain the master model technique, but so far if anything requires more than two seconds of thought they won't want to do it. They are all institutionalized and are just too used to the way they've always done things.

That resistance to >2 seconds of thought costs the company how many hours of productivity in a typical day, I wonder?

Dollars of profitability in a typical year?

Is the boss that RICH & LAZY?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• ReMark

• shift1313

• tzframpton

Thanks, Matt. I'll keep you in mind. I've been trying to explain the master model technique, but so far if anything requires more than two seconds of thought they won't want to do it. They are all institutionalized and are just too used to the way they've always done things.

Okay so you need a 2 second pitch thats a no brainer. How many CAD users do you have? What is their Average Salary(you don't have to say obviously) and how much time could be saved. I always says this when i am bidding a job. You can find people who will take less money for the job, but they will charge you 10x the hours to do it. If your new company is based on the bottom line(or even working on a per customer basis) you can easily put some numbers for them.

I use the Master Model technique exclusively and avoid Assembly modeling unless i have a very good reason. I can quickly iterate design based on the Master quickly(important for my bioMedical clients), or make variations of an initial design(welded structures apply here) by simply making a "Standard" model then doing a Save-As. One very nice thing now in Solidworks, if you take a weldment body from a Master Model part and need to send it into its own file for further detail work, maybe pre Weld stuff that doesn't affect the master, Solidworks now lets you bring all of the Cutlist data into the new part. Really is nice when you have a few people working on a weldment and they need to detail certain parts. Down the road they could all be put into an assembly but weldments work better as a Part(as you know) and you get better info into the drawing this way.

I would say on average a design initially could be done in the same time or quicker as a master model. Design changes, or new designs based on it, documentation and really anything else could be done 10x faster.