Revit 2016 electrical troubleshooting (arc wire vertices)

Comatosis

Hello all,

One of my coworkers is having an issue where his arc wires are automatically being drawn with more than 1 vertex on them, and none of us have been able to figure out what's the problem (the rest of us don't have it).

I suspect it's a problem with his installation, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a setting somewhere that you can modify to adjust the default # of vertices that Revit provides on arc wires whenever you draw them.

It's ultimately not a big deal, but he is pretty frustrated with the fact that he's not drawing arcs so much as spline-like objects and they end up looking ugly in his view (he's also annoyed by manually removing the extra vertex on every wire 8)).

Hopefully that explanation made some sense. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding. There's three settings for Wire Types: Arc, Spline and Chamfered, in which you can select on the Systems Ribbon Tab > Electrical Panel > Wires (there's a drop down arrow to expand the panel). The Arc Type only lets you have one pick in between electrical/lighting devices. A Spline you can pick as many as you want in between electrical/lighting devices. Are you sure he's on the correct Wire Type? It's a very simple and straight forward procedure.

If I'm reading your inquiry correctly, it sounds like he's select spline wire type when he should be selecting the arc. Forward this info on to him and see if I'm hot or cold in my assumptions.

-TZ

Not sure when the feature was added (i.e. if it's exclusive to Revit 2016 or if earlier versions have it as well), but you can add vertices (control points) to an arc wire. (Right-click on the wire, and select "Insert Vertex" or "Delete Vertex"). In his case, though, the default arcs already come with 2 vertices/control points, whereas in Revit 2014 (and everyone else's version of 2016), it adds just one.

I've seen him do it and he's really 1. drawing arc wires, and 2. clicking only 3 times (first device connector, empty space, second device connector). And yet, the resulting wire has the extra vertex for some yet inexplicable reason, while the properties still list it as an arc wire.

Capture.jpg

Gotcha, now I see more clearly. well I'm in 2016 and I'm only getting one vertex. Let me poke around some more to see what I find.

I attached a screenshot to my post above. I can achieve that result by manually inserting a vertex after drawing the wire, but his arc wires come with it by default.

Yeah, I've never seen that. Not sure if it's a problem, or if it's some crazy embedded setting that is rarely known. I'm at a loss at the moment. You may try and jump over to RevitForum.org and ask. Good community over there and they are Revit only.