Section Views

Rsantana18

Hello all

I am a student at community college in central New Jersey. Currently working on a small project for my AutoCAD class. I am given a drawing with appropriate dimensions and the following requirements were given to me word for word:

A standard top view with a Front, partial section view of the top 0.625 diameter holes, and right side full section view cutting through the two 0.938 diameter holes.

I believe the instructions are misleading and my professor is not available to answer emails. I have an idea as to where the cutting planes should be but am not sure what is kept/hatched/etc. Any help is appreciated. Also apologize if anything is unclear. Uploaded a picture of the drawing and a file of the normal front, top, and right side view that I have so far.

image (1).jpg

Final Project P2.dwg

Something like this... Not sure of the radius business on the ramp shoulder in the full section. Something doesn't seem right in there.

Toooooooo Many individual lines. I had a heck of a time hatching with all those co-linear line segments. More than too many, and the corners didn't exactly meet. If a line is going through, use ONE continuous line, and make sure your snap is "acquired". You missed a bunch of corners by less than a hair, but at the precision level you are using, that will throw off your dimensions.

Use rectangles for ANYTHING that looks like a rectangle when you can, then fillet, chamfer or trim the rectangle. look at what happens when you start RECTANG and then hit "D" ENTER right after clicking in the first corner of it.

I hope your unavailable instructor is going to get to polylines soon. Polylines are your friend.

I replaced most of the iffy linework with polylines just to get the hatch to work.

I changed some colors so I could see them on my black background.

The dynamic and annotative section callouts, and view titles I used can be found in the AutoCad Architectural pallet, but use whatever your unavailable instructor says to use.

Final Project P2 MODIFIED.dwg

I appreciate your time to help me. As well as the advice. As you can tell I am not 100% comfortable with AutoCAD yet. As for the partial section view of the top 0.625 holes, I am attaching my updated drawing file. Once open, can you confirm that I can eliminate everything underneath the jagged cutting plane line. Also for the hatching of this partial view, do I not leave the diameter of the two circles unhatched since the cut is right in the middle of both?

The last part of this assignment is a front, offset section view cutting through the top 3 holes. I understand the bends in the cutting plane will all be 90 degrees. Perhaps you can elaborate on this more for me. Thanks again for your help

Final Project P2.dwg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I would leave the centers of the holes unhatched, as you have suggested.

I believe that the Offset Jogged section view you wish to create will follow the yellow line in the screenshot.

Dana should be sound asleep for another 6 hours or so, as he is in Florida.

I noticed a couple of radiused edges along the "ramp shoulders", which I have squared off, and circled in the screenshot, as I believe this is how they are meant to be. :|

I started 3D modeling this, meaning to shoot some Viewbase images, but burned out, as it was getting rather tedious.

Maybe I will revisit it on the morrow, as it is a good exercise.

jogged offset section path.JPG

minor radius issues.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Dadgad

I am glad I found this forum as both of you have been great help. I agree about the squared off ramp shoulders and have also modified my full section view.

The last question I will ask is for any advice on a partial auxiliary view of the face marked with a star (picture from original post). I am attaching my .dwg file of what I have so far. Thanks again for your help

Final Project P1.dwg

Dadgad

I am glad I found this forum as both of you have been great help. I agree about the squared off ramp shoulders and have also modified my full section view.

The last question I will ask is for any advice on a partial auxiliary view of the face marked with a star (picture from original post). I am attaching my .dwg file of what I have so far. Thanks again for your help

My one problem with the ramp was how to show the two adjacent radii of the shoulder, as the top one will be slowly disappearing as the ramp descends. I couldn't quite get it visualized in my pointy little head.

I am glad I found this forum as both of you have been great help.
Since you're a student who doesn't want a handout and simply wants to be taught (yes that's a problem here) then you've come to the right place. Stick around here and you'll learn far more than a class will ever teach you - although not to discredit any course or instructor because they are also very valuable. All these guys are long time users of AutoCAD so you're getting real world professionals helping you. Take full advantage if you plan on having a career in CAD design.

:)

I have a post missing. I may have simply forgotten to hit the Post button. Oh well, and it was so erudite and entertaining too. ;) I'll never remember it all but it was answering this...

Once open, can you confirm that I can eliminate everything underneath the jagged cutting plane line.
Nope, you can't, because you need to show the full depth of the holes. The lower surface that the holes open on cannot be seen lengthwise in any other views, that's the whole point of the detail section. Personally, I'd use a more standard type break line.

I put a break line where I did (below the full depth of the holes) on my example for two reasons. One, it was almost 11:00 PM here and I didn't feel like copying it all over there. Two, in most shops it would be acceptable to do so because everything below the break line is duplicated in the front view. Whatever is drawn needs to be dimensioned, so the rest of the front view in two places wold be redundant. Now, having said that, some shops will want the full part shown even in that detail section.

There seems to be a couple of people nearer your time zone joining the pack, so I am going to stand on the side for a while and listen. That will speed up response time.

Looking at your latest drawing I noticed a few problems you may want to address, which I have revclouded in the screenshot.

You should give Dynamic Input a try (hit F12 to activate it), as it will help you to draw more accurately and quickly than previously, and like Dana, I suggest you start using polylines, for the most part, instead of Lines.

I finally got around to modeling the shape, it took me longer than it should have. :|

I didn't bother to tap the threaded holes, didn't care to start down that particular slippery slope, and it is unnecessary, using notes is the norm.

Once you have a proper 3D Model, you can use VIEWBASE to generate accurate orthogonal and isometric views very quickly. You can also cut sections virtually.

Which is why I really wanted to model this, as drawing it is better left to the software.

Modeling it was a bit of a puzzle though.

So much so that I had to go back into it and tweak some faces, after I thought it was already correct.

The filleting at the confluences of the 0.06 and the 0.24 fillets was finicky, the software kept rejecting them.

I don't mean to advocate the use of Viewbase until such a time as you can model an entity by yourself.

But once you can, you will thrill to how easy it is to generate associative views.

some minor issues.JPG

tedious model puzzle 2.JPG

you should learn viewbase.JPG

Edited by Dadgad