Accuracy

chrisdarmanin

Ummm...

One of AutoCAD's finest points is in how accurate it can be as long as the user is willing to take the necessary steps. In this case we are looking at rounding off. The table is probably set to do that.

you mean i can remove it??

but doesnt make sense to me. the formula is basically (b3*c3)/1000 up to row 7 then sum of column d. how can autocad mess that up?!

It's NOT messing it up. What you are seeing is more accurate than if it were showing nines instead of zeros. It is rounding it off because it can't display all of the decimal places. I see well over a dozen decimal places in the properties, but only six in the table. What do you want it to do with all the other nines? Forget they are there?

I think is question is the opposite - he doesn't know where all the nines are coming from.

And I can see his point - there's a series of numbers that appear to be entered manually which are all integers. These are then multiplied by 0.26 and totalled. No, I don't see how a discrepancy of 0.000000000001 has appeared.

dJE

Okay, I was thinking about it backwards. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

If the formula is basically (b3*c3/1000), is there more to it? What is it exactly?

you mean i can remove it??

but doesnt make sense to me. the formula is basically (b3*c3)/1000 up to row 7 then sum of column d. how can autocad mess that up?!

BWA HA HA HA HA!

However, to be helpful. Hit the F1 key and use this ribbon in AutoCad displayed below

redir?resid=86F21587FBB1DBC2!23031&authkey=!AH3htg2FUvRk294&v=3&ithint=photo%2cPNG

That is a quirk of the Decimal Binary Decimal conversion. Thin of it as similar to 1/3 = 0.3333. If 3 * 1/3 = 1, but 3 * 0.3333 = 0.9999, what happened?

That is a quirk of all computing operations, be it Calculator, Excel, AutoCAD or anything else. It really depends on where a program wants to initiate the rounding operation.

WHYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seems a pocket calculator is better than autocad

ACCURACY_zpsk9gifr1j.jpg

A pocket calculator doesn't know about concepts like significant digits. The calculator allows one to make that mistake all by there self where CAD apparently tries to stop one from doing it. your input precision doesnt go past the 100ths so cad cuts it off there.

If you want to see the trailing '9's make sure LUPREC is set as high as it can go and manually trim off the last couple 9 until you hit the LUPREC number.

I think is question is the opposite - he doesn't know where all the nines are coming from.

And I can see his point - there's a series of numbers that appear to be entered manually which are all integers. These are then multiplied by 0.26 and totalled. No, I don't see how a discrepancy of 0.000000000001 has appeared.

dJE

my point exactly

That is a quirk of the Decimal Binary Decimal conversion. Thin of it as similar to 1/3 = 0.3333. If 3 * 1/3 = 1, but 3 * 0.3333 = 0.9999, what happened?

That is a quirk of all computing operations, be it Calculator, Excel, AutoCAD or anything else. It really depends on where a program wants to initiate the rounding operation.

i'll accept this answer because i dont understand it :D

i'll accept this answer because i dont understand it :D

I understand it enough to think "that sounds right"!!!

dJE