Strange Issue that happens every now and then

Handiman

First let me start by saying this will be difficult to explain.

I have had this issue before in Paper Space (PS) but this time is is my Model Space (MS).

I guess it is something I am doing but I have never figured out what it is that causes it.

So I was working on a job and I usually have 20+ pages.

I do everything in Model Space and at 1:1. Then use Paper Space for what I will print usually on a Arch D sheet.

What has happened is when I go to MS there is 1 or 2 dots, doesn't matter how much you zoom in or out there is only a dot.

If I create a New View Port there is nothing for me to frame. If I copy an old View Port that existed before the issue started everything is there and I can frame what I need to frame. I can also double click in the View Port and edit my drawing so I am not dead in the water it just takes much longer.

I need to figure out what this issue is so I may stop creating this headache.

I am attaching the modified drawing, it was 30MB but this is down to 350KB.

Thanks for looking at this and I would greatly appreciate your help.

Randy

15008 TEST P1_C.dwg

This is usually caused by there being an object some where way way off in the far reaches of modelspace. Zoom extents is showing you a couple of light years of space because of it.

If you click on the dots, and select something, you can zoom object, but it doesn't come close on my machine because my video processor needs A LOT of regen'ing.

I did a zoom window about 20 times with regen's every couple or so, and was able to find the stairwell drawing. Until we find the objects that have somehow landed way off, and either move them or erase them, it will be a pain.

I looked for the errant little boogers but I can't find anything. Nothing way out there even lights up with a ctrl+A.

Why was it 30 meg?

We do Illuminated handrail on stairs and they are just that large.

It seems even small jobs are 10MB minimum. But most jobs like this one has 2 stairs that cover 3 floors and an outdoor seating area (patio) that has guardrail with mesh panels, about 250ft of railing and panels. There is about 900 ft of railing and mesh panels total.

I don't know of any particular way to make them any smaller without breaking it into smaller files, like each stair and that would be a pain to switch files.

Any ideas?

I found 2 lines, one about 2 units and one about 2.4 units long, at these coords, X=9458.8428 Y=-5674.3488 Z= 0.0000; at point X=9460.8897 Y=-5674.3488 Z= 0.0000 and residing on this layer: "S3-Defpoints A"

Hope this helps. Usually these errant things are empty text or zero length lines.

I found 2 lines, one about 2 units and one about 2.4 units long, at these coords, X=9458.8428 Y=-5674.3488 Z= 0.0000; at point X=9460.8897 Y=-5674.3488 Z= 0.0000 and residing on this layer: "S3-Defpoints A"

Hope this helps. Usually these errant things are empty text or zero length lines.

Right on the money dt, as evidenced in the screenshot.

Virtual flotsam. :beer:

Another time try Zoom Extents, then do a regen, and zoom out a little bit further. Create a crossing window spanning across any empty corners of the previous zoom extents (since the fact that those corners were included in the Zoom Extents indicates that one or more of them, or the common area between them, contains the most remote bits of flotsam), and anything hiding there should show up, as in my screenshot.

Using Ctrl+A (select all), as Dana suggested is an even easier way to light everything up, then they should jump right out at you. :beer: That is all I did to get the result shown in the second screenshot, very easy with Ctrl + A.

right as rain, virtual flotsam.JPG

select all flotsam tracking.jpg

Why was it 30 meg?

I made 2 test dwg's one with blocks and the other with groups.

I have gotten into the habit of grouping and then copy and paste and it's a killer.

I have to get back to using blocks. I have too many duplicated items and the groups add up.

My bad. Thanks for asking the question.

Right on the money dt, as evidenced in the screenshot.

Virtual flotsam. :beer:

Another time try Zoom Extents, then do a regen, and zoom out a little bit further. Create a crossing window spanning across any empty corners of the previous zoom extents (since the fact that those corners were included in the Zoom Extents indicates that one or more of them, or the common area between them, contains the most remote bits of flotsam), and anything hiding there should show up, as in my screenshot.

Using Ctrl+A (select all), as Dana suggested is an even easier way to light everything up, then they should jump right out at you. :beer: That is all I did to get the result shown in the second screenshot, very easy with Ctrl + A.

I did the ctrl+A thing and saw nothing. Were the errant items in a block or group? I might have had grips off for those.

I did the ctrl+A thing and saw nothing. Were the errant items in a block or group? I might have had grips off for those.

No block nor group, just 2 polylines, curious they didn't show up. :huh:

Weird. I checked include grips in blocks, and groups, and Show group frames, then they showed up. I also changed all the colors to something I could see on a black background. I found the two lines and erased them but still had modelspace zoomed all the way to Mars. I think there is something else out there.

I also ran Audit, fixed over 200 errors and erased one item. There was a hatch with something wrong with it's border. I think that is what got erased. But my copy is still zoomed out. I have two large bunches of stuff about 500 miles apart. I may have broke it even worse. I can't re-create it because I deleted the file.

I may have copied the entire modelspace over to a second location because Daisy's little brother slapped the keyboard a couple of times trying to get my attention.