Video distortiion in Solidworks

sanchez

I have just re-installed Solidworks 2013 on a new hard drive and a perfect circle drawn shows up as an ellipse. Can someone here tell me what I have set wrong. I know that I have the screen resolution set higher than 1600 X 900.

Diego

there are image quality settings in Solidworks but these relate to how round the circle is(since it is made up of a bunch of small lines) and not the distortion. Its going to be your screen resolution and your monitor. If your monitor is a full hd display and you set it to 1920x1080 it should be fine. For example for some companies i record videos for i need to set my screen resolution to 1280 x 720 and the SW modeling window distorts, but when they get played back its fine because it recording for the common usages on tablets etc.

What display are you using? Start by adjusting the display resolution and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
there are image quality settings in Solidworks but these relate to how round the circle is(since it is made up of a bunch of small lines) and not the distortion. Its going to be your screen resolution and your monitor. If your monitor is a full hd display and you set it to 1920x1080 it should be fine. For example for some companies i record videos for i need to set my screen resolution to 1280 x 720 and the SW modeling window distorts, but when they get played back its fine because it recording for the common usages on tablets etc.

What display are you using? Start by adjusting the display resolution and see if that helps.

I have tried them all, it seems that the screen resolution has nothing to do with my distortion problem. It prints fine, but displays distorted, which is a problem for completing a sketch.

it has to be a screen resolution issue.

What monitor(s) are you using.

What Graphics Card

What display Settings

What Operating System

On Document Properties/Image Quality what are your settings(screen shot).

With Screen resolution its a ratio. 1920x1080 is a 16:9 ratio. If your display is a true HD wide screen then it will likely want to be a resolution in the 16:9 ratio family. 1600x900 is BUT maybe your display wants something else? I really can't say without specifics. Maybe you have a 4:3 display or something. When you right click on your desktop and go to Screen Resolution you should have one res that has (recommended) next to it. Whats that? For instance i have one monitor that is a w19 from an old computer and it wants 1440x900 which isn't 16:9.

Thanks for your help!

Monitor HP 2009M 2 yrs old

Display Settings 1280 X 1024

Video Card Nvidia GE Force GT 610

OS Win 7 64 Bit Home Basic

Image00000.JPG

Image00001.JPG

how in your first post did you have it set to 1600 x 900? that is a 16:9 ratio but the 1280 x 1024 isn't. That would cause the distortion.

The screen shot that you see is how it is set now, it is the recommended setting and it is still distorted So what should I set it at?

interesting. I have a very similar monitor to that. an HP w1907. Looking at your product specs the factory default is 1600x900. Go into the monitor settings with the Menu button on it, Navigate to "Image Control.." In there check what the scaling is set to. it is probably set to "custom". You should have the option to "fill to screen" or " fill to aspect ratio". Take a look at these settings and let me know what each setting does for you. Also at the bottom of that menu it will tell you the current resolution and hz update rate. See if that says 1600x900 60hz or if its at 1280 x 1024. I am wondering if the monitor is trying to distort the 1280 x 1024 to fill it to 1600x900 or something odd. Everything else should be fine so my only guess is the monitor settings.

Our graphics card detects the monitor and sets the max resolution, which is 1280x1024 but we are using older square LCD monitors. It will be a function of your graphics card to support a new monitor, we played with some new wide monitors and had similar problems taht the graphics could not match the screen ratios. Check out Nvidia perhasp for some newer drivers that may allow the card to support a 16:9 ratio but it may drop slightly in res.

I am waiting for a friend who claims to have experience setting monitors correctly. I am hesitant to fool with it myself in that I have three hard drives on this machine

each with a different version of Solidworks installed. The other two versions work perfectly, and I am afraid that I will bolix them up. Thanks for your thought.

Diego

No problem. Just reply back if its fixes in case someone else finds it.

Fyi you can have multiple versions of solidworks on the same hard drive with the same license. If you use the same license on multiple drives it counts as a new activation. At some point you will run out and your VAR will have to deactivate one or more. If you are on subscription its no big deal. If not they will have to charge you.