Scaling Drawings

Hello

I have a border thats 24x36

and I would like to draw my lines to fit inside this 24x36 border

its been awhile for me using autocad

usually i draw in real life lengths (example: 50" or 130")

how would I setup this 24x36 border to draw in real time lenghts to fit inside this

border and to were its not to big or too small

thanks

Prior to the introduction of paper space layouts you would have drawn everything full size. Then you would draw your title block and border to real world dimensions (ex. - 24x36) and scale it up or down based upon a scale factor. That's gone the way of the dodo bird for most users. Now we draw our geometry in model space at full size then switch to a layout, create one or more viewports and assign the scale to the viewport. When it comes time to print you do so at a scale of 1:1. AutoCAD automatically scales what appears in the viewports.

I've never used viewports, be a learning

Experience for me. Are the difficult to setup?

Also I want to draw all my lines in inches

Do I set this up in units properties?

Say if I draw a line 50

What's the syntax to specify 50" &

Not 50'

Thanks for helping

For units settings, use the UNITS command at the command line, set that to Architecture. Now when you type 50 it is interpreted as 50".

Viewports can be fairly easy, please read the link you were given earlier in post 2.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You sound like a good candidate for reading this excellent post by ReMark about the use of Paperspace viewports.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72972-Things-you-should-know-about-Viewports.

From 2012 and still a great post. I know I have said it a bunch lately but you guys rock! ReMark, Dadgad, BlackBox, Cad64 etc. you guys really make this site what it is!

From 2012 and still a great post. I know I have said it a bunch lately but you guys rock! ReMark, Dadgad, BlackBox, Cad64 etc. you guys really make this site what it is!

It is because they are paid so well to be on here. :D

It is because they are paid so well to be on here. :D

That just cracked me up.:lol: Or maybe its just the meds after knee surgery.:unsure:

And let's not forget rkent.

And let's not forget rkent.

Let's just say that he would be included in the etc. section. Knee surgery huh? Hope you get back to 100% before too long. I broke 4 pieces of my knee cap off when I was in the Navy. Not fun. Still have issues with it to this day. That was 11 years ago.