hatch vs lines?

p0026376

I've been working with some older cad drawings as of late (90's era) and am noticing that none of them use hatches. The most prevalent is the use of closely spaced lines to create a "fill" effect when the drawing is printed.

I'm wondering if there is a reason for this. Were hatches not available in older versions of AutoCAD? Were these a result of conversion from another CAD software?

Most importantly, is there a reason to continue to use this, or should I convert these to hatches with my drawing updates?

thanks!

Might be that some idiot exploded the hatch pattern or it might be from another CAD system as you said. Yes, convert these back to hatch patterns as I have seen these as well and they usually "weigh" the drawing down in file size.

Might be that some idiot exploded the hatch pattern or it might be from another CAD system as you said. Yes, convert these back to hatch patterns as I have seen these as well and they usually "weigh" the drawing down in file size.

thanks, just wanted to make sure the hatch was the more efficient method with modern cad!

IIRC, earlier versions of AutoCAD had "exploded" hatch as their default.

That's crazy, like "dogs and cats living together". ;)

beat to the punch!

That said, I blame our elders for being of the generation(s) that exhibit foolish behavior as such.

not an expression I know.

When hatching was done from the command line I don't think there was the option of making it anything other than lines. Once we got the dialogue box the option became available but I am sure the default was for exploded.

When hatching was done from the command line I don't think there was the option of making it anything other than lines. Once we got the dialogue box the option became available but I am sure the default was for exploded.

The default was for the hatch to be combined as a block, to explode during the hatch command you had to enter the hatch type with an * in front, like *ANSI31.

Like others I have been using AutoCAD for a long time and it was never acceptable to explode a hatch. There is no way to know why it was exploded.

The default was for the hatch to be combined as a block, to explode during the hatch command you had to enter the hatch type with an * in front, like *ANSI31.

Like others I have been using AutoCAD for a long time and it was never acceptable to explode a hatch. There is no way to know why it was exploded.

I am CERTAIN the first versions I used had hatches coming in as lines. I do remember the block but that was at a latter date.

I am CERTAIN the first versions I used had hatches coming in as lines. I do remember the block but that was at a latter date.

I have a V2 Users Guide and that one describes the hatch coming in as a block. Were you using AutoCad before that? Hatch came about with the ADE1 extension but I don't know the timing of that.

Very possible that a menu was setup to explode the hatch upon insert with the *.

my first was the demo version 2.6 - about the same time as you.

Possibly I am confusing it with the lack of associative hatching and people "enhancing" the hatch once a border had been moved.