BIM online collabortion using a client

Ski_Me

I would think this is the future of BIM. If you could work on your part of the design of the base model without having to buy the whole version of whatever software you were using then just use one module of it but just a client version and load only what you need. Adobe already does this with the Creative Cloud. Autodesk should embrace this. Check out the link. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0926580514001186

Online cloud based collaboration with multiple entities using trade specific software is already being done and I believe Autodesk is already onboard.

While AutoCAD can be a part of the BIM process, it is not really BIM.

You would need to start working on BIM projects with real BIM software. As a company, we have been building up to it for years and are about to embark on our first try at it.

I haven't used BIM yet on a project but it's just a matter time before I will be forced to change, would rather get on board sooner than later.

Take some Revit classes. I was lucky to have off-site training provided by the company I work for and they eventually hired a CAD manager that can train in-house.

Planning on finding some webinar courses. I did have a class at a tech school but it really didn't cover the software very well.

Two things: Autodesk Collaboration 4 Revit and Autodesk A360 Team:

C4R:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/collaboration-for-revit/overview

A360 Team:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/a360/overview

The third "must have" would be something like Box.com business account or equivalent. So far, all my jobs are on C4R. It's fantastic, other than some "scheduled maintenance" at times where I have a hard deadline. But I have three to four subcontractors that I hire for various jobs and it's like we're all in a local area network environment. Granted, this is for Revit only, which is the platform BIM was built off of.

A360 Team has been good but it's still in an infancy stage. It's been great sharing models, the Wiki Pages are excellent, clients without Revit can jump in a 3D model and "browse around" through the web browser, etc. So far it's doing exactly what the industry needed. C4R still lacks permissions though but they've told us it's coming for user account access and management.

Jumping in on BIM works well with the C4R/A360 environments and for smaller companies like mine it's a must-have. For $800/yr the C4R license includes A360 Team for "free" so I have all the bells and whistles. For the money, you can't in any way get the performance + minimal downtime by doing it yourself or paying a company to manage it for you. A360 works well in iPad apps too, allowing users to really get a feel for the model and design as the process ensues.

Hope this helps. Jump on the Revit bandwagon immediately if you can to begin the long and sometimes excruciating journey of transitioning from AutoCAD to Revit. Classes are okay, but they don't really tell you "why" you're doing something that seems inefficient when compared to AutoCAD so keep as open a mind as you can.

-TZ