Casement vs. double hung windows in Revit

ReMark

Are different window TYPES treated as different families when it comes to Revit? How would each type of window mentioned above appear in plan view? Thanks in advance for replying.

I think in this case I would use different families and have multiple types within each family.

I'm not that familiar with the symbology for different types of windows but often times the number of panes is indicated with lines. Casement windows would typically have fewer lines and might possibly show a swing like a door symbol.

I'm no architect, nor do I play one in the forums.

Could you elaborate just a bit further on your first line using casement and double hung as examples?

Since the construction of each kind window is different, I would make two families.

Within each family there could be many types covering the different types within each kind.

For example, casement windows come in a variety of styles which would be the types within that family.

The double hung family may not have many types.

Again, this is not my field, so I may be missing something here.

Is this for you or are you trying to help someone else out?

A former co-worker and cad tech emailed me with some questions thinking we were using Revit. He was drawing up a residence that had two different window types but he thought they could be represented by one family. I said I did not think that's the way it worked.

It can work that way. A single window family could house every type of window in the project, even if the symbology was radically different. I wouldn't do that way, though.

Here is a example of such families being sold. There are many more.

Seems logical and practical from define serries of products this way from a manufacturer point of view. For civil engineer families have very limited use. All our geometry is made model-in-place. Similar to other 3d modelling applications.

http://www.revit-content.com/all-in-one/door-window.htm

You have to be careful with the word "Types" in the Revit world. The highest possible element of a Revit model is a "Family" which is based on a predefined category (Category = Door, Wall, Roof, Duct, etc). Next, would be "Type". This is essential to planning Revit content. In the case of Casement vs Double Hung, this would two completely different Families, but both the Window Category. Think of this as two entire different Blocks in AutoCAD. From there, each Family would have the different Types. Types can be separated in many different ways, such as by size, by brand/model, by function, etc.

Hope this makes sense ReMark.

-TZ

A Second Thought: Probably a better word to help people realize the differences would be "Kind" instead of "Family". A casement window is an entirely different "kind" of window than a double hung. Each "kind" will have different "Types". Kind = Family. Type = Type. So you have Families, and Family Types. And the reason I'm explaining so much is because the word "Type" has a lot of meaning in Revit since the actual word itself is a hard-coded Parameter option embedded into all Families thus making the word itself very important to understand. And since literally everything is a Family in Revit, inherently the word "Type" becomes anchored to all Revit content.

Sorry, probably too much explaining but just wanted to make sure you got it. Let me know if your company wants to jump into Revit and I'll fly out and consult for you guys. They'd love a Texan slang in Ariats and starched jeans giving a crash course in a technical field I'm sure, haha.

;)

It's funny how I used those words carefully before you explained it in such detail.
Did you? Lol, full confession... I didn't read any of the other comments. :)

That's a good thing then. You and I are on the same page, and apparently the correct one as well.