Help with Penn Foster structural drafting 054040

thekenbob1

Drafting section "A" - Plate 3 begins on page 14.

You are drawing a building in section. In other words the building has been cut in half length-wise and your job is to draw what it would look like. Start with the footings, piers and concrete slab then work your way up from there by adding the building columns and beams.

There are other threads where this project is discussed and some of them contain images of most if not all of the plates. Take a look at them.

If you have further questions post back. Good luck.

So first of all ReMark, thank you for unknowingly helping me through the Oleson Village subdivision project a few months ago, i got 100% on that test thanks to you. also i will keep searching through the forums for other threads about this plate 3. Now just one question though, are you saying that what i need to draw is something like plate 2 except i will be showing the other wall?

Plate 2 called for the student to draw an elevation not a section.

Leave your house or apartment and go outside. Turn around and look back. What you see is an elevation. A section is a cut through a building or an object. Understand? Some elements of both will be similar but others will be different. If you cut your residence in half you would see such things as beams, studs, flooring, insulation, joists, rafters, etc. that would not be seen in elevation. In an elevation you would see the exterior details like the roof shingles, chimney, exterior cladding (brick, vinyl siding, clapboard, etc.), gutter/downspout and trim around the windows.

Edited by ReMark

Poking around this morning I came across what I believe is an image of Plate 3 in this thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?94340-looking-for-feedback-on-my-structural-project-for-penn-foster&highlight=Penn-Foster

BTW...after reading through the .pdf file you attached previously it appears that Penn-Foster is basically using the same set of instructions they did several years ago which you will find to be missing pertinent information, prone to errors and containing misinformation. On top of that they continue to instruct students to draw their title block and border at full size, in model space, then scale it up to fit around the drawing. OMG. What year is this? 1985?? Still no mention of using a paper space layout and a viewport. In my opinion students are getting ripped off.

Edited by ReMark