Northpoint 2016

so I have recently moved jobs and they are using 2016. Normally when on paperspace and clicking in on the viewport, an option pops up on the layout ribbon with different northpoints that can be attached and linked in with the viewport.

I can't seem to find this option for the 2016 version? - Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• Fatjury

• MillerMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What program are you using?

FYI - AutoCAD 2016

The Annotation tab of Tool Palettes has a North Arrow dynamic block available. I don't see any north arrows on the Layout tab.

Edited by ReMark

Hi,

Its just the AutoCAD 2016 version. I was using 15 before this and it had a really handy northpoint arrow tab when you clicked into the viewport, with a range of different arrow styles but this seems to be missing in the 16 version.

I will just have to manually copy and paste from other drawings but this isn't ideal...

Can't recall seeing that feature in 2015. I'll have to go back and take another look.

OK...where to next?

AutoCAD 2015 Layout ribbon.jpg

I'm guessing that tab was some sort of customization. Is that possible?

Also, if copy/paste isn't ideal why don't you do it another way?

Most companies have a standard north arrow that they use. Maybe you could use that one from their block library. If they don't have one, suggest that they decide on a standard one and add it.

But it points north.

Fair enough. But AutoCAD refers to it as North Arrow or just plain Arrows. Since we are talking about a feature of AutoCAD I thought I'd stick to their terminology otherwise I might just start referring to the circle command as the "round" command.:lol:

Oops, I forgot to use my sarcasm font. I actually am one for using proper terminology, especially in this format.

This is the screen shot from the previous CAD license I was using....

But I cant find this on the 2016 version....

1.jpg

You got to love it. Here the OP is complaining about a missing feature in generic AutoCAD only to discover the feature was actually found in an AutoCAD vertical product he was using previously. You can't make this $#!+ up.

Basic CAD 2016 = generic AutoCAD = plain old AutoCAD.

On the other hand AutoCAD 20xx is not AutoCAD MAP 3D 20xx. Never has been, never will be.

Have you looked into this?

Most companies have a standard north arrow that they use. Maybe you could use that one from their block library. If they don't have one, suggest that they decide on a standard one and add it.

I've just had to google your analogy :) and thanks both again, I'll look into it. - I'll use the bog standard NA.

Just grow your own north arrow. Make it look snazzy and cool. Soon you'll be promoted to senior draftsman and get a company car. Lets face it the guy in that position now is old and behind the times now is the time to strike and yank that job out from under him and claim what is rightfully yours. All this from a little arrow that points up on your drawing. Your welcome.