+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3D Motorbike

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2016

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Well, I used sweep for the exhaust, but I think for the body I just used extrude.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Have you used any of the following?

PressPull
    Loft
    Polysolid

Subtract
    Union
    Interfere

Imprint
    Slice
    Intersect
    Thicken (takes a surface and converts it to a solid by given it a thickness)
    Move Faces (plus another 6 or 7 commands that work on faces)

Revolve

I'm pretty sure one of the more knowledgeable forum members here created a 3D model of a motorcycle (or was it a motorcycle engine?). A search might turn up the thread. I'm positive there has been at least one or two threads about modeling wheels and tires too. Unfortunately I need to go out into the plant now. We're swapping out our largest cooling tower and I need to check on a few things. I'll come back later and pull up this thread to update myself. See you later.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Welcome to CADTutor.

As a former owner of a few Honda motorponies, an 1987 Hurricane, which was later renamed the CBR1000, and a 1991 CBR1000, not to mention an NSR150 at a later date, half a world away, something looks a bit strange in your dwg.

What is wrong with this picture? Please take a critical look at the attached screenshots.

Here's a clue, it is not the fact that the stand over height on the front view is more than two meters, and I have pretty long legs.

This link would help you

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/au...nd-press-pull/

As would all of the rest in the 3D Modeling menu on the Tutorials tab on this forum.

You should always draw everything in Modelspace FULL size.
    Drawing the Universe? It too should be drawn full size.
    Scaling will be done through the use of Paperspace viewports.

Always read the commandline prompts, as you will learn a great deal by paying attention to them.
    A SETTINGS commandline option when modeling, frequently contains options like model as a Surface or a SOLID.

I love motorcycles obviously, but modeling a sport bike with fairing is a very ambitious first undertaking.
    If I were you, I would model a SKATEBOARD, no joke, if done well, it would be quite impressive, using 3D Solids.
    Go ahead and model the bearings, they will look great. Much more appropriate for a novice, and still a pretty decent challenge, if you are committed to making it look stylish.
    By the way, nice job tracing the shapes, but you should have used continuous Polylines, which can be comprised of lines and arcs, and they should be CLOSED, in case you need to use them for modeling.
    Cad64 was the one who posted threads about modeling tires for his jeep model, a few years back.
    Good luck, we are eager to help you, and while impressed by your desire to aim high, best to learn to walk before you fly, keep us informed.
    Back to the virtual drawing board.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dadgad; 20th May 2016 at 07:58 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Another example but done so well http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...ight=motorbike.

Look in your sample dwgs part of the \Program files \autocad\etc etc for Car.dwg and Truck.dwg these are good examples.

A skateboard https://www.silverfishlongboarding.c...-drawings.html
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

BIGAL, that motorcycle model by Shift, for which you posted the link, just goes to show that, while it certainly can be done exquisitely, by one who really knows his chops.
    It is appreciably more difficult than tracing a couple of 2D images.

Not sure how I managed to miss it when Shift posted it, but hey Shift, AWESOME!
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Not sure if a skateboard would qualify as a "mechanical vehicle assembly" and trying to model a complete motorcycle in 3D would be overly ambitious on the part of someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working in 3D. I'd look at a sub-assembly such as a wheel with braking mechanism or maybe a suspension system (monoshock?) instead. Just a suggestion.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    Not sure if a skateboard would qualify as a "mechanical vehicle assembly" and trying to model a complete motorcycle in 3D would be overly ambitious on the part of someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working in 3D. I'd look at a sub-assembly such as a wheel with braking mechanism or maybe a suspension system (monoshock?) instead. Just a suggestion.

Good point ReMark, I had forgotten the wording in the OP, distracted by talk of bicycles and such.

Had sort of segued into thinking about any means of conveyance.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Another option would be a recumbent bike although some of the bikes used in the sport of track cycling are really amazing.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

JD has a pretty nice looking recumbent.