3D Motorbike

Ben_9_5

So, I'm doing a CAD assignment and we've been asked to "Produce a 3D solid model of a mechanical vehicle assembly". So basically, make a 3D model of a car, motorbike, boat, etc. I've chosen to do a motorbike (see the attachment). As you can see, it's mostly finished, but I'm really struggling with the wheels. :( So if anyone could help with that, that would be great. Also, part of the question says to "Use materials to create a photo-realistic finish to your 3D model". What does that mean, and how do I do it? :?

Thanks.

3d Motorbike.dwg

Re: materials.

That refers to a finish of some type (ex. - glossy paint). Materials can be applied directly to objects or assigned to layers. After the materials are applied you would need to place some lights and create a rendering.

Re: your drawing.

Ah......why did you create the motorbike using extruded surfaces? Why didn't you use solids as per the instructions?

When is this assignment due?

A 3D solid model of a bicycle. The left side utilizes a 2Dwireframe visual style. The right side uses the Realistic visual side. No materials have been applied at this point.

Note: I did not create this 3D bicycle. It is used here for demonstration purposes only.

3D Model as Solid.jpg

3D models can be created from 2D linework HOWEVER depending on the geometry and the method used you'll end up with either a surface or a solid. Unfortunately for you everything appears to be an extruded surface.

An example of a simple rendering. The materials were brass for the padlock body and polished chrome for the locking portion.

Disclaimer: I don't work at a job where applying materials, setting up lights, then producing a rendering of a 3D model is required. This is one of only three attempts I ever made so take it with a grain of salt.

Padlock rendering.JPG

How about this?

What about it? At least it appears solids were used. That's a start anyway. What other solid modeling or editing commands have you used thus far?

Have you used any of the following?

PressPull

Loft

Polysolid

Subtract

Union

Interfere

Imprint

Slice

Intersect

Thicken (takes a surface and converts it to a solid by given it a thickness)

Move Faces (plus another 6 or 7 commands that work on faces)

Revolve

I'm pretty sure one of the more knowledgeable forum members here created a 3D model of a motorcycle (or was it a motorcycle engine?). A search might turn up the thread. I'm positive there has been at least one or two threads about modeling wheels and tires too. Unfortunately I need to go out into the plant now. We're swapping out our largest cooling tower and I need to check on a few things. I'll come back later and pull up this thread to update myself. See you later.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

As a former owner of a few Honda motorponies, an 1987 Hurricane, which was later renamed the CBR1000, and a 1991 CBR1000, not to mention an NSR150 at a later date, half a world away, something looks a bit strange in your dwg.

What is wrong with this picture? Please take a critical look at the attached screenshots.

Here's a clue, it is not the fact that the stand over height on the front view is more than two meters, and I have pretty long legs.

This link would help you

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

As would all of the rest in the 3D Modeling menu on the Tutorials tab on this forum.

You should always draw everything in Modelspace FULL size.

Drawing the Universe? It too should be drawn full size.

Scaling will be done through the use of Paperspace viewports.

Always read the commandline prompts, as you will learn a great deal by paying attention to them.

A SETTINGS commandline option when modeling, frequently contains options like model as a Surface or a SOLID.

I love motorcycles obviously, but modeling a sport bike with fairing is a very ambitious first undertaking.

If I were you, I would model a SKATEBOARD, no joke, if done well, it would be quite impressive, using 3D Solids.

Go ahead and model the bearings, they will look great. Much more appropriate for a novice, and still a pretty decent challenge, if you are committed to making it look stylish.

By the way, nice job tracing the shapes, but you should have used continuous Polylines, which can be comprised of lines and arcs, and they should be CLOSED, in case you need to use them for modeling.

Cad64 was the one who posted threads about modeling tires for his jeep model, a few years back.

Good luck, we are eager to help you, and while impressed by your desire to aim high, best to learn to walk before you fly, keep us informed.

Back to the virtual drawing board. :)

one bad assed CBR125.JPG

flat track bike.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Another example but done so well http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72446-Hub-Steer-Motorcycle&highlight=motorbike.

Look in your sample dwgs part of the \Program files \autocad\etc etc for Car.dwg and Truck.dwg these are good examples.

A skateboard https://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-board-building-q-a-discussions/123606-autocad-drawing-new-design-post-your-cad-drawings.html

BIGAL, that motorcycle model by Shift, for which you posted the link, just goes to show that, while it certainly can be done exquisitely, by one who really knows his chops.

It is appreciably more difficult than tracing a couple of 2D images.

Not sure how I managed to miss it when Shift posted it, but hey Shift, AWESOME! :beer:

Not sure if a skateboard would qualify as a "mechanical vehicle assembly" and trying to model a complete motorcycle in 3D would be overly ambitious on the part of someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working in 3D. I'd look at a sub-assembly such as a wheel with braking mechanism or maybe a suspension system (monoshock?) instead. Just a suggestion.

Not sure if a skateboard would qualify as a "mechanical vehicle assembly" and trying to model a complete motorcycle in 3D would be overly ambitious on the part of someone who doesn't have a lot of experience working in 3D. I'd look at a sub-assembly such as a wheel with braking mechanism or maybe a suspension system (monoshock?) instead. Just a suggestion.

Good point ReMark, I had forgotten the wording in the OP, distracted by talk of bicycles and such. :beer:

Had sort of segued into thinking about any means of conveyance.

Another option would be a recumbent bike although some of the bikes used in the sport of track cycling are really amazing.