AutoCAD 2014 Stalls

Bill Tillman

I have a client who just bought a brand new mother board and CPU. It's AMD 3.2 GHz with 8 cores and 8 GB RAM. The mother board manufacturer is Asus. So we pair this with a new 2TB hard drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Then let it crank all weekend getting all the updates from Microsoft, then let it install Windows 10. The machine looks and feels great...except their AutoCAD 2014 Professional stalls all the time. It doesn't lock up or crash it just stalls. I was working with it last night and while moving the mouse it just stops and nothing can take place in the AutoCAD window. I can move the mouse over to the other monitor and the computer responds perfectly. Other apps like LibreOffice and surfing the web all work fine. Then I click back in the AutoCAD window and sometimes it's still stalled, sometimes it's freed up. It always eventually frees up but those 10-15 second delays happening every few minutes are getting super frustrating to deal with, like watching paint dry.

This may not be an AutoCAD issue. Have you gone through your Windows settings? I was having latency issues the other day. I turned off a bunch of apps running in the background, which are on by default like cloud storage. You may also want to take a look at programs that are in your start-up.

Use Process Monitor to watch file and registry activity in real-time, so that when it "stalls", you can see what is going on behind the scenes.

Many times, the O/S is looking for something that isn't there, and it waits..... and waits....

Here is more info on that: http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=504

Edited by rkmcswain
add more data

Use Process Monitor to watch file and registry activity in real-time, so that when it "stalls", you can see what is going on behind the scenes.

Many times, the O/S is looking for something that isn't there, and it waits..... and waits....

Here is more info on that: http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=504

That's my thinking too but if that were the case why don't the other apps stall as well? When AutoCAD stalls I can focus on another app window everything is working lickety split.

Had a heart stopping moment yesterday walked away for a few minutes returned to my laptop and viewed 12% install, panic set in I forgot to stop Win 10 install as I usually do. My 2013 CIV3d is still working hopefully I have only done a few things on it. I will probably update to 2016 soon as it is supported on Win 10. This auto ask by Microsoft is a real pain I did not ask for it !

WIn 10 hi-jacked my work computer this morning at 8:00 am. The Installing in 15:00 window opened BEHIND my AutoCad window because I was working, keeping the window active. By the time I saw it, I had 00.03 left... 2... 1... didn't make it to the cancel button soon enough. It took 48 minutes to install. I had to recover my active drawing that Win 10 simply shot in the head. The Win 10 install abruptly shut everything down, and was not at all gentle about it.

I lost all the work I did in the last 45 minutes. There was no autosave file available, for some reason. The original .dwg was corrupted and unopenable. last saved at 3:59 pm yesterday, and the .bak file was even older. The recover .dwg offered was my only alternative. The recovery process fixed 60 errors, and nothing I did between 6:45 am and 8:00 am this morning was in it.

Be that as it may, Windows 10 is pretty slick. It is a combo of Win 7, 8.1, facebook, ABBA, The Rocky Horror Picture SHow, and android. AutoCad 2016 LT SP1, and 2017 both seem to love it. My new graphics card seems to have been woken up and given a shot of testosterone. I don't think Win 7 was letting it run to its potential.

Once I turned off that stupid new browser/explorer/assistant thing with the made up Italian-Hispanic sounding name that tried to make friends with me by displaying bright and cheerful "How may I help you learn to love the cloud?" messages, I began to explore around. Even though Win 10 stole an hour and a half from me, it ain't so bad.

Let's see how it holds together.

Edited by Dana W

For those who are not inclined to jump on the compulsory Windows 10 Bandwagon, just because Microsoft says we must, check out the very DEVIOUS CHANGE to their annoying pop up WINDOWS 10 promotional behavior.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=100000000000000000000000001662584

The link does imply that one can stop the hyperactive Windows 10 onslaught, if ONLY, by engaging with the reschedule or CANCEL option.

Since they implemented this Update, if you click in the corner, as you have probably grown accustomed to doing, each time you start your computer, in an effort to decline the OFFER and dismiss the dialog box, that is now MISCONSTRUED to imply TACIT AGREEMENT to their desire to force Windows 10 onto your computer, whether or not you want it.

We updated Windows 10 to a 'Recommended' update for Windows 7 & 8.1 customers whose Windows settings are configured to accept 'Recommended' updates on Thursday, May 12, 2016, a Microsoft spokeswoman said. We added the additional notification based on user feedback and to ensure customers had an opportunity to change or cancel the schedule for the upgrade to Windows 10.

Very Dirty Pool, if you ask me. :stop: :nono: :beer:

Edited by Dadgad