Cap and flashing on Plate 5 detail

mknj61

Im sorry for posting again here, I just cant get this part I have to draw the welded cap to the top of the column which is 13-3/4" wide the cap is 14" wide. It calls for a 1/2" fillet weld and the siding which is 1/2" high is supposed to be covered by the flashing. it seems like the dimensions don't make any sense, unless I am missing something. It doesn't leave much room for the weld if there is only 1/4" overhang on each side

I wouldn't worry about showing the weld. From what I've seen of student drawings no one bothers to show it although they may call it out in a note. Who ever was responsible for writing most of the project instructions either didn't know what they were talking about and/or never had them properly vetted by a professional in the particular field the project covered. Slap the plate on the top of the column and move on to the flashing where you'll encounter another P-F screw up. They call for a thickness of 1/4"! I have both aluminum and copper flashing on my house and none it even comes close to being 1/4" thick. It's basically sheetmetal. They probably should have specified a "gauge".

The vertical sheathing that covers the building is an 1 1/2" high isn't it? It's basically metal decking stood on end.