big problems with the wrap tool

sanchez

I don't understand why I am consistently having failures with the wrap tool. I think that I follow all the rules and yet I just can't seem to get it to work right. Am I the only guy having problems with this tool? My failures are often trying to extrude small features from curved surfaces. I don't know if it matters but I am using solidworks 2010.

Diego

Are your surfaces cylindrical? Wrap tool was only designed for that. Does your surface use a spline?

edit. now that i am at a PC i can write a bit more.

I can't say why your Wrap feature is failing without seeing the sketches and geometry. It does have some rules you need to follow. The solid/surface curvature you are wrapping onto needs to be cylindrical/conical or planar. This tool will work on varying types of curvature but seems to not like complex curvature(splines in two directions). One thing you also need to be aware of is that your 2d sketch plane needs be Tangent to the curvature, or rather be able to if you offset the plane. You don't have to make a tangent plane but it needs to be possible. Usually not a problem for revolved parts that use the standard planes and have a revolve axis that is either vertical or horizontal. If yours don't follow that you will need to make a new plane that can achieve tangency.

I don't have SW2010 anymore but i know the tool probably received some fixes along the way. If you can post the file you are having issues with i can test it out.

Edited by shift1313

Sorry to start a new post for this reply, I am unable to send images from the Reply mode.

Diego,

I am really not qualified to be giving advice on Solidworks, in that I am not certified, however I have had very similar issues with the Wrap feature in the past, and I am happy to share what I have learned the hard way.

I have found that to be very careful moving the plane over the tangency of the curve in preparation for the sketch of the extrusion pays dividends. What I do is to take a measurement from the plane's existing position to where you want it to be, then add say .002" to that measurement and move the plane to exact measurements. Also take care to have the sketch fall within the boundaries of the surface, lest failure will occur. I will try to add attached images to show what I mean.

Good luck,

Chubarka

Image01491.jpg

Image01492.jpg

Image01493.jpg

Image01490.jpg

Chubaraka, that shouldn't be the case. Solidworks allows you to use the Wrap tool with only closed sketches on a plane that is tangent(when parallel) to the face which you want to wrap to. This means if you have a full 360degree revolved cylindrical part you can use the FRONT plane without any offset. If you have something that wouldn't have tangency with your solid/surface when offset then you would have to create a plane.

There are a few restrictions/requirements needed. The part has to be planar, cylindrical or conical. It will work on "some" complex curve surfaces but this is where i notice that it fails. Typically you can have curvature in one direction. What i mean by that is you can take a complex spline profile and revolve it(making it cylindrical in one direction) or extrude it. But typically making it complex like a 3d boundary or lofted surface tends to lock up the WRAP tool.

In terms of attaching images to a reply. When you start your reply at the bottom right you will see "Go Advanced". Once there you will see more tools. An icon of a Picture lets you hyperlink to images hosted online somewhere. The paperclip icon will let you upload it which will place it as an attachment to the post. Once uploaded you can also select to place the images "inline" which will both attach and embed them in your post. let me know if you don't have the ADVANCED posting option once you begin your reply. There used to be a limit before you could do certain things on the site but i believe it was 5 - 10 posts or something less than what you have.

Sorry to start a new post for this reply, I am unable to send images from the Reply mode.

I posted a tutorial about this a while back. It was mainly to show people how to attach .dwg files to their posts, but it's the same procedure for images or any other allowed filetype. See here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?95160-How-to-upload-files-to-the-forum

I have merged this new thread with the original.