Linking sketch lines with a note

Belgarion115

My question:

Is there a way to link or associate sketch objects with a note object so that when the note is moved the sketch objects move with it? I don't think inserting an empty view and associating the note and sketch objects with the empty view is a good solution. Any other ideas?

Why:

Where I work we often flag note numbers with triangles to associate them with a particular feature (see attachment). There are two ways I have found to do this: 1. use the flag symbols in Solidworks (clicking the symbol button and inserting or typing ), or 2. manually sketching a triangle and placing it over a note number.

I struggle in choosing what I consider the best approach because they both have pros/cos. I like the symbol because it's easy to implement and moves with the note but that means I can't use automatic numbering. Lines don't automatically indent, etc. Because of that I prefer to use automatic numbering but doing so means I must manually sketch a triangle which then does not move with the note.

Thanks to anyone with ideas or input.

Triangle Note.JPG

My question:

Is there a way to link or associate sketch objects with a note object so that when the note is moved the sketch objects move with it? I don't think inserting an empty view and associating the note and sketch objects with the empty view is a good solution. Any other ideas?

Why:

Where I work we often flag note numbers with triangles to associate them with a particular feature (see attachment). There are two ways I have found to do this: 1. use the flag symbols in Solidworks (clicking the symbol button and inserting or typing ), or 2. manually sketching a triangle and placing it over a note number.

I struggle in choosing what I consider the best approach because they both have pros/cos. I like the symbol because it's easy to implement and moves with the note but that means I can't use automatic numbering. Lines don't automatically indent, etc. Because of that I prefer to use automatic numbering but doing so means I must manually sketch a triangle which then does not move with the note.

Thanks to anyone with ideas or input.

There are a couple things to know/consider here.

1. When you have a drawing view selected and you place a note, that note will move with the drawing view. I.e. the dimensions. You probably already know this but in case someone else reads the post.

2. a note placed in the drawing but not with a view selected can be "attached". Select the view, control select the note, right click and go to Attachment.

neither of those will follow a dimensions when moved "inside" a drawing view like you want BUT there is a way to get a number in a triangle and then link it to a note. Use a Balloon. in the balloon settings chose the first drop down and change it from "circle" to "triangle. You can then change the "balloon text:" from item number(default) to text which will allow you to enter 1., 2. etc. If you place a balloon without selecting an edge it wont have the leader on it. If it won't let you align and lock the Balloon with the note you can select both and make them a "block". They will then move as one. If you use the same numbers and notes you can also save the blocks externally then just insert them as needed.

Once last thing that "might" work, if this is getting attached to a dimension, select the dimension and in its properties you will see . this is the measured dimensions of whatever you have selected. Before that enter . If you need this in a text note, place your new note and type REFERENCE (for example). The 2 is obviously the number. If you need a 3.(with the period) in a triangle for example you would type These are in the symbol library under "Flag Tri 1-99" and "Flag Tri 1.-99." there are also various rotations of these with the triangle pointing to the right , or with Letters.

Hope one of these solutions works for you. if you have trouble or questions about any of them let me know. My personal preference would be to place them in the Dimension properties or in the note themselves. Cleanest and easiest solution.

Matt, I think you might be a little confused. I probably wasn't clear enough.

In the drawing notes (general notes, not linked to any view) we sometimes flag a note. i.e. , see attachment in original post. My frustration with using this symbol is that I can not use automatic numbering. If I decide automatic numbering is more important than using the symbol then I can draw sketch lines to form a triangle around the note number. However, if I should need to move the note then the sketch lines which create the triangle will not move with the note. It's this I am concerned with. If I sketch lines around a note number (general notes, not feature-specific notes) can I associate those lines with the note so that the lines move when the note object is moved?

Maybe a good question is "how do you want it to work?" So when you enter a multiline note what decides when something is flagged? Are the numbers related to any parts or are they unassociated sequential number notes?

Yes you can link or lock sketch lines to notes but I want to get a better understanding of the whole process.

I cant remember off hand linking the lines to notes since im not at a computer but ill respond again later.

Matt, I think you might be a little confused. I probably wasn't clear enough.

In the drawing notes (general notes, not linked to any view) we sometimes flag a note. i.e. , see attachment in original post. My frustration with using this symbol is that I can not use automatic numbering. If I decide automatic numbering is more important than using the symbol then I can draw sketch lines to form a triangle around the note number. However, if I should need to move the note then the sketch lines which create the triangle will not move with the note. It's this I am concerned with. If I sketch lines around a note number (general notes, not feature-specific notes) can I associate those lines with the note so that the lines move when the note object is moved?

Belgarion, I played around with this and i really only have one good solution for you(in addition to what you are doing).

1. Write your note with its applicable numbering properties.

2. Right click and "make block"

3. Double click note to edit and select yes.

4. draw your triangles

5. exit block(top right corner just like exiting a sketch)

If you move the note around the sketched triangle will follow it. If you edit the note and continue to enter new lines it will still have the numbering format. So it behaves the same as the note with the exception that you can add sketch entities to it. When editing the block you can move the triangle(s) around, but once back in the drawing mode they will stay with the number where you place them.

The only other solution I can think of(based on how you set this up) would be to make your own macro to do this through API. I don't even know if this exact thing is possible but it might be.

Let me know if i still don't understand the problem and ill keep thinking about it.

I'm getting ready to leave for Florida so I can't actually do it to see if it's what I want but from the way I read your message it sounds great. I'll let you know as soon as I may. Thanks for your help!

I'm getting ready to leave for Florida so I can't actually do it to see if it's what I want but from the way I read your message it sounds great. I'll let you know as soon as I may. Thanks for your help!

Nobody leaves Minnesota in the Summer! Thats when they fix the roads ;)

No problem, just let me/us know if it does or doesn't work.

Haha. You sound like someone who has lived in Minnesota. We have two seasons here: Winter and Construction. :)

That method works great, thanks Shift. Btw, is that a dirt bike you're riding in your avatar?

My wife did an intership in MSP for 3m. So I experienced the construction season :)

Glad it worked out!

The pic. Yes and no. Its a supermoto. Dirtbike with slicks. I have a few KTMs. Sxf and smr450s currently.

Ahhh, you're one of "those" guys. ;) Supermoto's are pretty cool. I've had a couple sport bikes but never a dirt bike. I've been thinking a lot about a somewhat more "standard" motorcycle lately though.

Ahhh, you're one of "those" guys. ;) Supermoto's are pretty cool. I've had a couple sport bikes but never a dirt bike. I've been thinking a lot about a somewhat more "standard" motorcycle lately though.

Supermotos are the best unless you spend a lot of time on the highway. Hypermotos are the next. Ive had all kinds but I prefer the track. I gave up street riding when my kids were born. I still have a gpz750 thats highly modded. 320lbs. Turbo, suspension from a gsxr etc. But its a garage ornament. I had a modded drz400 for 10 years and that was a great all around bike. Getting way off topic now :) pm me if you wanna chat bikes.

Unfortunately I am still restricted from pm'ing, otherwise I would be happy to chat privately about bikes. I'm quite interested in hearing about your GPZ750. 320lbs is uh... well that number seems impossible.

Unfortunately I am still restricted from pm'ing, otherwise I would be happy to chat privately about bikes. I'm quite interested in hearing about your GPZ750. 320lbs is uh... well that number seems impossible.

ill crib note it here for you. Its an exercise in engineering for me. I had it from 530 to 400lbs fully street legal. Lights, horn etc. I had it featured in RAPID bikes mag(streetfighter). Started stripping it more and more making it minimal. Subframe is 3/4" thinwall DOM. tiny battery. Full custom harness, minimal gauge(actually worked on a gps based speedo) etc. I've hacked the frame and minimized everything i could. I plan to do a total loss system, dry clutch and a few more things. Going total loss has been tricky since i have an FI setup on it. Also dropping the starter for a bump start setup. The dry clutch setup will allow for better turbo oiling. Its just one of those things that will never be done. it was my first street bike when i was 18 and i've hung onto it since. I don't really have any great pictures of it and its always in a project state cause i have no time. I was building a new tail section last time i touched it. There is a subframe under that tail and it does support me, holds a battery and a few other things :) Its 325lbs with turbo/dump pipe, battery etc. If i go no starter, total loss, dry clutch i think under 300lbs is within reach. 80hp NA and about 120hp on turbo.

PA100046-1.jpg

10450180444_28c8950d56_b.jpg

Jeeze. That is.. really nuts. For all that work I'm surprised you've not retro fitted some inverse forks. Regardless, at 320 lbs I'm sure you can throw it into a corner with hardly a thought. In addition to that your power to weight ratio is liter bike territory. Are those numbers wheel or crank? That's a nice little monster you've made. What year is the frame/engine?

Jeeze. That is.. really nuts. For all that work I'm surprised you've not retro fitted some inverse forks. Regardless, at 320 lbs I'm sure you can throw it into a corner with hardly a thought. In addition to that your power to weight ratio is liter bike territory. Are those numbers wheel or crank? That's a nice little monster you've made. What year is the frame/engine?

The usd vs conventional thing was planned. These bikes were nicknamed "flexi flyers" back in the 80s. Usd forks are too stiff. I like the feel of the chassis and didn't want to go too crazy bracing it. Only change might be bandit fotks. I dripped the front 2 in. Its sub 23deg rake. 3in trail and 55in wheelbase. It started as an 83 gpz. The gsxr stuff is from 89 to 05 slingshot stuff. Mix n match. Hp is wheel. I dyno tuned to 80hp on carbs. Turbo powee is an estimate as its theoretical

• 7 months later...

This is a follow-up to my original post: I've found a solution to my issue.

1. Use automatic numbering as normal.

2. For those numbered notes you wish to flag: double click the automatic number to select it.

3. In the note properties pane, under "Border", click the drop menu which says "none" and select the desired shape. Your note number will now be flagged as desired and remain an automatic number.