Adding families to a subcategory in Project Browser

yrnomad

Ok, I'm still very new to Revit.

We have a minimal set of family for lighting. Every time I start using a new fixture type, I duplicate a similar existing family, and modify it's dimension, and name it similar but with our fixture type designation as a prefix (i.e. "Type U3 - 4" Round Pendant").

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to create a sub catagory in the Families area of the project browser of just the lighting families used in this project. ...so I don't have to sift through the other's in order to find one of the 10 or so that applies to my current model.

Does that make sense?

Ok, I'm still very new to Revit.

We have a minimal set of family for lighting. Every time I start using a new fixture type, I duplicate a similar existing family, and modify it's dimension, and name it similar but with our fixture type designation as a prefix (i.e. "Type U3 - 4" Round Pendant").

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to create a sub catagory in the Families area of the project browser of just the lighting families used in this project. ...so I don't have to sift through the other's in order to find one of the 10 or so that applies to my current model.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense and I would highly advise you not to use this approach. What you're trying to do is use Subcat's as "Layers" and that's not their intention at all. Right-click > Select Similar will select anything by Type. This is an easy way to manipulate "just" a select certain items. That's only for quick things. Filters are what you want to use for any type of control.

But, what I really need to know is this: what do you mean by "sift through the others in order to find one of the ten"? I generally understand what you mean by this. I'm asking for a specific example. Just so we're clear.

Subcats can be used for things that truly apply to a "lower hierarchy" within a Family, such as clearance, ballast, hangers, etc. But to answer your question directly, any sub-category you create in the Family itself will "add itself" to the sub-category list in the Project.

-TZ

Thanks TZ

I've been using the create similar and filters today, but sometimes the length of the Family tree is still frustrating when starting on a new level of the building.

We bought a Template and Family set from the guy that did our training package.

The 1st tier categories under families has 30 categories, which we may use 8 or so of. Most frequently I am going in and out of Data Devices; Electrical Fixtures; Lighting Fixtures...

The 2nd tier is like the type of device, so they have possibly another 20 sub categories, (i.e.: Lite_Round_Ceiling; LITE_Round_In-Grade; LITE_Round_Wall...)

The 3rd tier are the equipment or devices (i.e.: 4" adjustable; 4" downlight; 4" surface; 4" wall wash)

So if I'm inserting multiple types of light fixtures, Low voltage and Power Devices or equipment, that tree gets long. And a lot of subtle differences between lines of text.

Any advice?

Yes, I'd go to Families and expand a tier, then Lighting Fixtures and expand a tier, then L_LITE_Round_P and expand that tier.

Then pick a variant of a roun pendant light.

I usually don't go this route. Initiating the tool from the Ribbon and selecting from the Properties Drop Down would be considered the more common approach among users (who don't have added tools). There is a bid difference in the Project Browser and Categories. These are not the same, but they overlap. Your list of Categories are shown in Visibility/Graphics (per View) and Object Styles (per Project). The Project Browser simply lists all the System Families (hardcoded Families that always "exist" in Revit) and Loadable Families (Externally created Families that are loaded into the project). What you're seeing is only system and loaded Families and mistaking this as Categories. While the Families Browser list is sorted via Category, that's not the proper area where Category or Subcategories can be seen or manipulated. That's done via V/G and Object Styles.

On second thought, after re-reading the title itself, I see now what you're trying to do. Not sure how that didn't register to begin with. No, sub-categories cannot be added in Project Browser. My apologies in advance in dragging you through all the indirect explanations that didn't directly answer your initial question to begin with.

-TZ