"(insert file name) references itself"

Zeek

Mapping (utility) and inserting 1/4 section maps saved on the hard-drive. SOMETIMES I can't insert "map # such n such" and get the message "block (insert name here) references itself". So, close everything I've been working on and restart the process with that map as the first one opened and insert the others... usually works. Sometimes it is map w34 that is referencing itself, sometimes map w34 inserts fine... inconsistencies are a buggar to diagnose!

Any idea why "referencing itself" occurs sometimes?

Thanks

This is actually happening when inserting a drawing(as a block). But not always... that's what really puzzles me. Why only sometimes... I'M sure I'm doing the same thing every time...

Due to the fact that these are utility infrastructure maps I won't be able to share the DWGs... Sorry-

Also, the "block" is just the insert command creating a block from another 1/4 section map (existing DWG) that needs to fall in adjacent to the original 1/4 section that is open. If I Wblock and save the second map as a block (with a new name obviously) the problem doesn't happen. There are a few work arounds that I have found, but avoiding additional steps is the end goal. Maybe just an electronic anomaly, since it only happens about one time out of five.

Due to the fact that I need to know exactly what you are doing with what you are doing it with, I won't be able to help beyond my first post... Sorry-

This is very common for a nested block, for example, X1.dwg and it has a block named X1 in that drawing. Open the X1.dwg and use rename command, you will find a block named X1. I would explode the X1 block since the X1.dwg only contains the block X1. Otherwise rename the X1 block to something else. Save the

Solution... (at least this worked, even if it's just a work around) It was a quarter section map of our utility that would not insert next to other quarter sections (block XXX references itself), so I went for "Save As" and renamed it XXX(2).DWG and it inserted just fine. As a final step I removed the original DWG and renamed the XXX(2) as XXX (original name) and it inserts just fine. Has 2 other maps that referenced themselves, did the same procedure and it worked fine...