putting parts together in assembly

couves

hi

Im starting to learn solidworks through the net with tutorials. but now im starting to put my cad work in progress with solidworks. Ive design all my parts that are needed in assembly.

But in assembly im trying to find it hard to join 1 part. it my be easy but ive spent quite a time around it.

Ive joing an image to be easier to explain. Its in blue. i want it in that position and can move and it hase i dimension 2.5mm below the anti-rotation. its a guide for the anti-rotation and Stem.

OF 25B.16-Model.jpg

Welcome aboard.

The first mate you want to apply is "concentric". In the past several years of solidworks there has been a check box to "lock rotation" since its used for bolts a lot.

Next you will want coincident(select the end face of your blue part and a vertex or face for the 2.5mm dim). Once you have made your selection hit the dimension button(sorry im not at a computer) this will allow you to enter an offset. These are both im the standard mates tab which is active by default.

Thank you very much for the awnser.

I will try it tonight. Ill then let you know how it went.

I have more questions to ask about the assembly that im doing. but lets take the steps 1 by 1 and not rush.

Also if you can share the assembly that might help get specific answers but my guess is that general answers will do.

Solidworks does have built in Assembly tutorials on the help menu as well. All the reference files are installed with Solidworks.

ok. I will do so.

Ive already done some assemblies. easy ones as i was learning. came up this situation. As i was not

figuring it out, i decided to ask for some tips.

Tonight ill give some awnsers.

Thanks a lot for you attention

ok. this site isnt letting me send the assembly file because it excedes the limites allowed.

i tried using concentric but nothing happens. maby because its not round.

I used coincidente. It went to were +- i wanted to go. but i needed the 2.5 dimension on "y" direction down. and the only directions its giving me to put values is on "z" directions to the left.

Any clue?

solidworks_1.jpg

Ok what i did was. first when i put my peice in the assembly, u put it under my anti rotation parte. after that i did a parallel mate.

then i did the coicident point to put the 2 pieces in the middle. because the piece was underneath, I could use the distance and just put 2.5 mm

and went down where i wanted. With the coincidente point that i put, the value is 0 mm. puting 2.5, comes down in y direction.

As it shows on the image above, i couldnt do it with the distance. this is because usind distance, it would go from the coicident point to the left.

Is it understandble what i said? is ther another way to do this. for example where my guid piece is in hte image above?

Now im trying to lock my guide parte so it doesnt rotate. any clue?

ok. this site isnt letting me send the assembly file because it excedes the limites allowed.

i tried using concentric but nothing happens. maby because its not round.

I used coincidente. It went to were +- i wanted to go. but i needed the 2.5 dimension on "y" direction down. and the only directions its giving me to put values is on "z" directions to the left.

Any clue?

Which part are you mating and to what? I thought it was round so sorry there. Concentric only works on round parts or axis.

If the offset isn't in the correct direction it means you nees to select it so that they are. Try grabbing to faces. Without a round part centered it needs more info so a race to face that are parallel will work.

you can identify the 2 parts in the 2d imagem i first posted. ( its the part thats alone and the round part thats cut on the sides that is on the shaft. you wount see the body like in 2d image because i hide it away to be easy to see)

first i did parallel mate. then i did coincident points, using middle points after that i used the dimension of 2.5mm. and i think it worked well. the only problem i have now is to lock the part (called guide) that i want to put in place so it doesnt rotate

on the other part ( called anti-rotation).

i would like to share my assembly to be easier to explain. but it has 800kb and only lets me sent until 500kb

Try rolling the bottom of the feature tree up to the top "rollback" then go to file-pack and go. And try and save it to a zip file.

Looking at the images I would still start with concentric. It looks like its round where the handle begins. You can also select planes in that part, ex the front plane, then a plane in the assembly and make them parallel or coincident to lock rotation.

What is the little block floating around?

ok Maby i didnt explain well what i wanted. i wanted to put that block that floating in its place. i aqually managed. but now i dont want it to move because the stem is going to go up and down. how should i lock it?

when i press pack and go, it give me an error "could not load solidworks dll: sldshellutils" dont understand why it give me this. so i cant zip the file :(.

ive still got more doubts in this work that i would like to explane.

but first lets finish with the block that was floating i must lock it

solidworks_1.jpg

You will need to use another reference like a plane that belongs to the assembly and not the moving part.

The first thing you should always do is know how this is put together in reality. What else is missing from the assembly?

Ok thanks for the reply.

Yes i know how it is built in reality. that floating block that you saw in the other image, its welded to the body. that why it can move.

Its a guide so the stem and the rest of the parts stuck to it dont turn.

If its welded on I suggest you draw it in the part it gets welded to as part of a weldment. You can add weld beads to am assembly bit the functionality is better in a part.