need help making a curved diamond!

sg7

Hello! Thank in advance for your help.

I'm trying to make a roof that consists of 4 curved diamonds.

Imagine a diamond that's made out of fabric for example, and is pitched through the top point and the other is pinned to the ground, so it droops.

How do I make a diamond bent in 3D like that? Four diamonds should pin together to make a roof with one point and 4 flat sides that form a square. Each corner of each diamond goes into a corner where two walls of a potential house meet.

Thanks!!!

If you took a pyramid and then subtracted a large radius cylinder from each of the 4 sides you would end up with a drooped pyramid.

Are you referring to a tensile fabric roof (either hypar or conic)? If the roof "droops" then the four sides would not be flat.

I think you might find the LOFT command to be useful in creating the desired shape.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks guys! Turns out the edges of the diamond are straight, and all 4 feet. The inner part still droops in like a tent. So I don't know how LOFT would work exactly.

I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Are we talking about a tensile fabric roof? Yes or no?

Did you happen to do a search of the terminology then click on "images" to see what I am referring to?

Yes, I think LOFT would still work. But that doesn't mean it is the only way or best way to accomplish the task. It was a suggestion.

Not quite. The edges should be straight rather than curved with the rest of the roof. I'll keep trying LOFT though, thank you for the suggestion.

Obviously you did bother to research tensile fabric roofs. At least if you had you could have easily answered my first question. My attempt. Note that the four horizontal edges are straight.

tensile fabric roof 1.jpg

Edited by ReMark

As you say Remark, Sg7 you can make the parabola shape extrude it and subtract from a standard flat sided pyramid this is a pretty good approximtion. Is that what you you did Remark ? If the edges are actually straight different story. Google SAIL making.

Maybe if the OP provided an image of some sort we would know exactly what he is looking for.

The object I created was done using two arcs and the LOFT command followed by copying, rotating then assembling.

After thinking about the problem a bit more I went back and took a different approach. Yes, it is possible to create the shape and have the four edges that run from the point at the top to the four corners be a straight (diagonal line) but the result, in my opinion, would not be suitable for a roof. On the other hand, I've seen some pretty unusual things pass as "architecture" today so It would not necessarily be out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by ReMark

Ok great! Yeah thank you ReMark, that looks like exactly what I'm trying to get.

Unfortunately the idea was posed with only very rough sketches and bad black and white photos from the 80s that only slightly resembled the desired image. What you have seems like the correct design.

I thought it was an interesting design. Each triangle is supposedly supposed to fit into another so that you could have a bigger roof with only a few more pieces. I feel like there is something off somewhere with the idea though.

I did look up the tensile fabric roof. Like I said, it was close to what I wanted but not quite. This is what I did.

Thank you for your responses.

Mbita IDEA 8 by 8.pdf

I think your roof would work if it were used on an open structure like a pavilion or a tent but not so well on a house. Note that in some places your roof dips below what would be the perimeter of the building. If you were to use this on a house then you must take into account that at some point it will rain. Where will the water go if the roof dips below the top plate?

• 1 month later...
It could be work with an edgesurf for 1 quadrant and then mirror 2 times.

Yes, we would love to see a demonstration of the technique you describe. Better yet, attach a drawing when you are done.

A bit out of my league, but in your image the shape looks just like a section of a cylinder, I would try just slicing a tube